Beef Kaldereta Recipe

One of my favorite Filipino dishes is the Kaldereta or Caldereta. It is a hearty meat dish using chevon (goat meat), beef, or pork combined with potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, and liver spread or liver paste. This is a popular dish served during special occasions and a regular in every Filipino cookbook.

My family loves Beef Kaldereta and I must say that my wife is an expert in cooking this dish. As special at it may seem, preparing something like this takes some time and patience but it is all worth the wait. I would recommend the presence of a pressure cooker though to save some time in making the meat tender.

Kaldereta Recipe

I love to put more words for this dish but my wife is now serving the kaldereta in the dining table. The aroma is tempting me somewhat saying “come and indulge”. I’m off to go but before that let me remind you to put some extra cups of rice in the rice cooker. Happy eating!

Beef Kaldereta Recipe

Cuisine: Filipino Recipe

• 2 lbs beef, cubed
    • 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
    • 1 onion, finely chopped
    • 4 cups water
    • 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into strips
    • 1 cup tomato sauce
    • ½ cup liver spread or liver paste (processed using blender)
    • 1 tsp. crushed chili
    • 3 large bay leaves
    • 2 cups potatoes, sliced
    • 2 cups carrots, sliced
    • 1 cup cooking oil
    • ⅔ cup green olives
    • salt and pepper to taste
    1. Heat the cooking oil in the pan and fry the carrots and potatoes until color turns light brown
    2. Remove the fried carrots and potatoes from the pan and set aside
    3. In the same pan where the vegetables were fried, sauté the garlic and onions
    4. Add the beef and simmer for 5 minutes
    5. Add water and let the beef boil until tender (about 30 mins if using pressure cooker or 1 to 2 hours if using an ordinary pot). Note: I have been using my trusted pressure cooker for 5 years now and I haven't had any problem. It is not the expensive brand, but it works wonders for me.
    6. Add the tomato sauce and liver spread and simmer for 10 minutes
    7. Add green olives, carrots, bay leaves, bell pepper,crushed chili,and potatoes and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes
    8. Add salt and pepper to taste
    9. Serve Hot. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing this post! I appreciate you.

Comments

1. Can I use stewing beef?

2. Hi there, i’m wondering if you can taste the liver spread or not?

• Lynn, the taste of the liver spread enhances the flavor of the dish. The liver spread will have a different taste when combined with the other ingredients compared to consuming it as it is. So, if you don’t like the taste of the spread alone, that does not mean that you won’t like kaldereta.

3. Can I use crockpot?

4. marnelli says:

hi kuya, i should try this beef kaldereta, thanks i learned lots in cooking..great recipe’s…God bless!!

5. I made beef caldereta on my daughters bday! everybody loves it. I used Beef brisket because of its grains.Put some fresh pineapple extract and ofcourse shredded cheese. Yum yum!

6. thanks alot for this recipe.I just finished making beef caldereta because of Panlasang Pinoy.:) I still have to taste it.:)

7. Krestine says:

I so love your recipe of beef caldereta!!! so tasty. my husband and 5 kids love it and also my friends when i brought it to pot luck during a party. Thanks for sharing your recipe.;)

8. foodlover! says:

talaga po bang may bay leaves?

9. kuya what do you mean that 2pcs bay leaves and 3 large bay leaves ?we have just add so it will come 5 bay leaves

10. thank you so much!

may god bless you more………

11. thanks for recipe,i will try to cook this caldereta for my son birthday.great pictures

12. Did you use pig’s liver for this recipe?

• liver spread or liver paste. You can buy it in Asian stores. It comes in a small can. Good luck!

• patrice says:

they know what he meant. the problem was availability in their location. He is asking for a specific answer, my sister is in germany, and i am using this site for our daily menu for the reasons of its accurate and the followers also have very helpful. My sister really liked the recipe, but i dont know what to tell her as of the subtitutes of the ingredients,

more power and more more recipe!!! :) happy cooking!!!!

• fresh beef liver then processed it in a blender

13. franchesca says:

hi, what kind of beef is best when cooking this? like which part, there’s so many kinds when you go to the butcher. is there a specific one that should be used? thanks! :o)

14. chriscel15 says:

thanks…great photos….i dont eat beef but i wrote this recipe…thanks again

15. If I’m using an oridnary pot to tenderize the meat, do I have to cover the pot or not?

16. I plan on making this, but with goat. I think this is the way my family made it in the Philippines. Since I have no one any more in my family to ask about this, would you happen to know which cut of meat I should get? I plan on going to a local halal market for the goat meat. I don’t know if I should get the youngest cuts or just any type of stew meat cut.

Thank you in advance!

17. It is better to get the young goat meat because it is the most tender. However, if in case you can’t get one then just make sure that you add more time in boiling the meat to make it more tender. You can also use a pressure cooker to save time. Hope this helps.

18. You need to cover the pot to trap the water in. You will just uncover it once the meat is tender. Just be sure to put ample amounts of water.

19. i use garbanzos instead