Kare Kare Recipe

Kare Kare is a traditional Filipino stew complimented with a thick savory peanut sauce. The commonly used meats for this dish are ox tail, tripe, and pork leg; on some occasions goat and chicken meat are also used. Besides the peanuts, this dish depends on the shrimp paste (on the side) in order to be fully enjoyed. Traditionally, “palayok” (clay cooking pot) is used to cook this dish and it is also used as the serving pot.

I almost tried every meat that can possibly used in cooking Kare-Kare and in my opinion ox tail, pig’s leg, cow’s face (yes, face off), and tripe are the ones that I like. Ask every Filipino that you know and I’m sure that they have a lot to say about this wonderful dish.

Kare Kare

Try this Kare Kare recipe and let me know what you think.

Kare Kare Recipe

Cuisine: Filipino Recipe
    • 3 lbs oxtail (cut in 2 inch slices) you an also use tripe or beef slices
    • 1 small banana flower bud (sliced)
    • 1 bundle of pechay or bok choy
    • 1 bundle of string beans (cut into 2 inch slices)
    • 4 pcs eggplants (sliced)
    • 1 cup ground peanuts
    • ½ cup peanut butter
    • ½ cup shrimp paste
    • 34 Ounces water (about 1 Liter)
    • ½ cup annatto seeds (soaked in a cup of water)
    • ½ cup toasted ground rice
    • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • salt and pepper
    1. In a large pot, bring the water to a boil
    2. Put in the oxtail followed by the onions and simmer for 2.5 to 3 hrs or until tender (35 minutes if using a pressure cooker)
    3. Once the meat is tender, add the ground peanuts, peanut butter, and coloring (water from the annatto seed mixture) and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
    4. Add the toasted ground rice and simmer for 5 minutes
    5. On a separate pan, saute the garlic then add the banana flower, eggplant, and string beans and cook for 5 minutes
    6. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the large pot (where the rest of the ingredients are)
    7. Add salt and pepper to taste
    8. Serve hot with shrimp paste. Enjoy!

Comments

1. filipino quality says:

oh kare kare you make me drool.

2. Annatto seeds are atsuete… Just letting you know :]

3. Hi! Unfortunately, I am allergic to all nuts. Is there a substitute for the peanuts? (Probably won’t be kare kare anymore then) Thank you!

4. finally! i’ll be able to cook my own kare-kare without having to wait for a party hehehe. I’m so excited to try it on Tuesday dinner. I’m trying to impress a man! since my mom told him i can’t cook hahaha

• *cook my own kare-kare, not waiting for a party to be able to have some hehehe

5. Marc Vitug says:

tried this one, except made use of beef pata instead of ox tripe. Love it, but kinda hard to cook. Sometimes I go to C2 Restaurant in Shangrila Mall just to order Crispy Kare Kare. Yum :)

6. Finally, i will master this kare-kare, now I have the guts to tell my husband na I can cook kare-kare…very nutritious and palatable dish ever! i got you! thanks Chef Vanjo! God bless you more…

7. juel abellana says:

vanjo the best ang kare kare mo…

8. Why you are revealing all your secret recipes for the world to read? Because all our knowledge, talents and skills are God-given and as such are meant to be shared for others to enjoy God’s blessings. Doesn’t it make you feel good that God has chosen you to be His steward to spread God’s goodness and Grace? Thanks for that selfless act of generosity. I will try your version of the kare kare this weekend.

9. Derrick H says:

Hi, I am a Chinese reader of yours and I love cooking Pinoy food. It does help when you have a picky Filipina food critic that happens to be my girlfriend ^_^ I was wondering if it was necessary to put the annato seed coloring into this dish. I am not sure where I would be able to find the annato seeds :( Thank you Chef Vanjo! :)

10. oxtail is the best. i can’t swallow tripe. i’d rather cook with chicken than with tripe. when we were young, my mother used to cook with pork ears. they were really good–cooked in the pressure cooker for about 40 minutes really softened the ears.

11. hi kuya,,, im preparing to cook karekare for our lunch, this is my first tym to cook karekare,, thanks for panlasang pinoy… it helps a lot

12. Hi,

I’ve been craving for kare-kare for weeks now, seafood kare-kare actually. I know nothing beats the beef kare-kare, but I’m settling for quick cooking. Would it be possible for you to feature a no-shortcut recipe of the seafood kare-kare. I know ‘mani’ lang sa inyo ‘to, because you already managed to post the original kare-kare recipe.

Thanks,
      Libby (yeah, the peanut butter brand)

13. Thanks for the recipe. I must try this after Holy Week <;o

Question, at my place, the oxtail is already "peeled"…meaning the skin is already taken out. Isn't that what makes karekare thick and gooey?
      Perhaps I can add more grounded rice or what?

14. lhil batallones says:

looks really yummy..thanks po

15. This is good recipe but lets take it up a notch (BAM) hahaha. Once the meat is tender, take it out of the broth and step aside. In a separate pan, heat up oil and fry minced garlic (the more the better) and add in powdered Annatto that you can buy in the spanish section of any grocery store. Add the meat and cook it in the garlic and annatto mix. You can add chopped onions but in my opinion, it will not make that much of a difference and a very good chance a quick spoilage so leave it out.

Now… add the peanut butter (creamy) to the still warm broth and mix to dissolve. Why do i do this? Because i use to add it with the meat in the broth and one of my guests eating found a huge clump of peanut butter thinking it was beef! Now, either you add the broth with peanut butter to the beef, garlic and annatto mixture or the other way around. Add veggies, salt and pepper, serve hot with bagoong on the side and sliced mangoes, ENJOY! Why am i revealing all my secrets for the world to read hahahaha

16. kopiko411 says:

Hi kuya,
      I’ve tried your recipes, they’re great talaga! ask ko lang po i can’t find anato powder nor seed in our place will it be ok if i use atsuete powder insted?

thanks po more power!!! Godbless

17. We also add a few whole okras to the stew.

18. Your Kare-kare recipe with accompanying demonstration is one of the best so far that has been posted in the internet. Marketman’s is also very good. I like your recipe very much because it is AUTHENTIC, and does not make short cuts and nor excessive substituting of ingredients.

We cook Kare-kare very much like your recipe, except that we also add tripe to the oxtail, and no peanut butter.

Thanks for the recipe ;-)

19. Aby, you can use paprika as an alternative pero medyo tatamis ang lasa ng dish. Another alternative is to use food coloring.

20. Adding tripe is brilliant too. Thanks for visiting Jovita. See you around.