Homemade Pork Tocino Recipe

Pork Tocino or simply tocino  is a cured meat product native to the Philippines. It is usually made out of pork and is similar to ham and bacon although beef and chicken can sometimes be used as alternatives. It is often reddish in color and has a sweet savory taste. Pork Tocino was said to be named after the same  Spanish word “tocino”, which is used to describe cured meats.

Pork Tocino is usually eaten during breakfast along with warm rice. Tosilog is a popular meal comprised of garlic rice (or sinangag), fried pork tocino, and a piece of fried sunny side up egg. Pork tocino has been a famous Filipino “anytime” food because it is available almost in every grocery stores and can be consumed anytime of the day.

Tocino

Pork Tocino got its reddish color artificially. A red food coloring is needed to make your own homemade tocino to make it look more appetizing. Of course, the food coloring is just optional because it does not affect the taste of the meat. I usually cure my tocino in the fridge for at least 3 days for best results. I also freeze my cured tocino for a week before cooking. I am not recommending you guys to do the same because 24 is just enough for curing — I think that I just want my homemade pork tocino to get cured longer.

One word of advice though, even how good cured meat tastes, moderate consumption is still recommended. Too much intake can still affect our health in the long run. It is best to have pork tocino at least once or twice per month. By the way, it tastes best when dipped in spicy vinegar.

Let me tell where I bought some of the ingredients, since it can be quite a challenge to get these ingredients if you are outside of the Philippines. I got the Prague powder (also known as curing salt) online from a website called myspiceage.com. I also ordered the sodium phosphate online from americanspice.com. The annissette liquer was purchased from a local wine store, while the rest of the ingredients came from the local grocery store. Making your own homemade tocino is really easy, as long as you have all the ingredients in hand.

Good luck everyone and let me know if you have questions. You can reach me by emailing or by following our Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest accounts (@panlasangpinoy).

Try this Pork Tocino Recipe and let me know what you think.

Homemade Pork Tocino Recipe

• 2 lbs. pork ham
    • 1½ tablespoons sea salt
    • ½ teaspoon Prague powder #1
    • ¾ cups granulated white sugar
    • 1 teaspoon sodium phosphate
    • ¼ cup anisette liquer
    • ½ cup pineapple juice
    • ¼ cup crushed garlic
    • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    • ¼ teaspoon Vitamin C powder
    • Red food coloring
    1. Slice the pork ham to about ¼ inch thickness
    2. Dissolve the sodium phosphate in 5 tablespoons of water.
    3. Except for the meat, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
    4. Apply the combined mixture to the meat by rubbing. Make sure that the mixture is evenly distributed across the meat
    5. Place the mixed ingredients in a covered container
    6. Store the covered container (with meat and mixture) in room temperature for 14 hours. It may also be refrigerated but would take at least 3.5 days to complete.

Now that you have you have made your own homemade pork tocino, all you need to do is cook it. I cook my tocino by boiling it with 2 cups water and 1/4 cup cooking oil. The meat gets tender as the water starts to boil. After quite a while, the water evaporates and the cooking oil will be left. This will instantly fry the meat. Make sure to turn the meat over after a few minutes of frying to cook the opposite side of the tocino. Doing this will give you a tender and delicious pork tocino that is cooked just about right.

Comments

1. shirley says:

this is my first time to make tocino and chorizo for my 1-yr and 3 -yr old grandchildren because they love to eat these food. I want to be sure that what they eat are clean and healthy food. Can i do away with prague powder, phosphate and instead use unsweetened pineapple juice? THAnks.

2. thanx 4 sharing your talent in cooking….
      i learned so much….
      can i share a homemade tocino recipe n they used to sell this…
      it’s a recipe of a very popular BBQ shop in the ’70s
      for every kilo of meat sorry i’m now a muslim convert…
      4 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp salt…. so its 1:4
      u can adjust later accdg 2 ur taste…..

3. PP – We love tocino and I want to try this recipe this weekend but I want to confirm: to qualify meat as “ham” it has to be cured so is this “pork ham” you speak of just the garden variety cured ham that you buy typically in the silver or gold package at the grocers? Or is this something different? I’m heading to WalMart. Can I pick any of these ingredients up at that store?

• Pen, this is different from the cured garden variety hams in the deli shops. You will not find the ingredients at Walmart. I usually buy them online.

• Oh dear, I was afraid of that…can you steer me in the right direction? What site do you buy this from? Can I pick something up like this from a butcher shop? Would they know what I am talking about? Thanks again!

4. alfredo says:

hi,we use to make tocino but with out those chemicals , like other you can use what you have in you`r cover it`s healthy no chemical only natural, use sukang paombong datu puti ,brown sugar ,red food color, salt iodize , and try ……

5. rajah kalipay says:

Yummy treat… We may omit the preservatives if we will be cooking the Tocino immediately.

6. @ Panlasang Pinoy…ano pong purpose ng anisado wine?…tsaka ano pong effect if masobrahan ng gamit?

7. gud day!balak k png e2 nlng epresnt q s product presnta2n.pwde p b 2 different meat ang ilagay s isng lalagyan?like chicken and fork or fork n beef.tnx

8. carldeguzman says:

more powers to panlasangpinoy.com more pilipino will surely proud of you.

9. hi kuya ang hirap nmn yatang makuha yan sa switerland ang mga ingredeints mo.

10. pet luh says:

What’s the ascorbic acid for?

11. hi, where can i buy meat processing seasonings, like, phosephate, vitamin c, etc. thank you

12. Im not familiar with the ing, and i dont know where to buy it too. Your prog. helps me a lot cooking delicious food for my family and friends.Thank you so much.

13. Do I still need phosphate if I plan to cook it very soon (not preserving it for later).

14. Is it really necessary to use Phosphate and prague when cooking tocino? Aren’t these engridients carcinogenic?

• you may omit prague and phosphate when cooking tocino. I’ve tried it and the taste is still the same. if you are using too much of the ingredients it may be carcinogenic

15. rochelle says:

hello wanna help you in making tocino,, just use pineapple juice and a little salt plus sugar tpos ihalo lhat s meat then u just need to dissolve them evenly by ur hand,,using also food coloring ,,,red one,,that’s it,next tym give ko s inyo ang measurement ng ingredients,,kc my husband is making tocino as our business here in abroad

• rochele, can you send me the measurement of the ingredients of your tocino? please, please i really need it because we don’t have the salitre or prague powder here in KSA. My family love tocino whether chicken or beef..that’s all we have here in KSA po…Thank you in advance fr your help. God Bless

• chanda angeles says:

ate rochele ask ko rin po ung exact measurements nung tocino recipe mo..maganda kasi puro natural ingredients lang.. favorite kasi to ng mga kids ko.. thanks!!!!

16. Hello Vanjo,

I make tocino at home but since I cook them right away I only use sugar & salt. Have you tried that without the other ingredients.

Just wondering

thanks,
      Ailynne

• you are right Ailyn, it’s better to use natural ingredients,much safer and better taste as well!

17. luv to cook says:

it true there is a lot of chemicals on this recipe nitrite is the bad one that’s why there is a lot of cancer in the united states than any where else in the world.

18. how long will the finished product last?..will it last for several months if packed in bags?.is it possible to know the expiry date for this?

19. pls write the common name of the ingredients and the ingredients are hard to find. is there any option about the ingredients to replace.

• jade bienvenu says:

its not that hard to find. u can find it at grocery stores like sm or robinsons. you can ask for assistance if ever u dont know where to find those ingredients.

• jade bienvenu says:

oh wait where u from? if ur fron philippines. then u can find it at the grocery stores mentioned.

20. jelai25 says:

I like this Tocina,, but I’m not familiar with the recipe…

21. ss501fan says:

ascorbic acid ay ginagamit pamalit sa dapat ay salitre na bad sa health, ascorbic acid serves as preservatives din as i remember.

22. Kuya,sabi ng finnish husband ko,di daw healthy sa health natin ang pagsalin ng chemical powder sa food?totoo ba yun?though i love tocino so much!paki reply agad kuya.thanks.kaya ang hirap hanapin ang mga ingredients na ito dito sa finland.

• actually hindi naman masama…. Lahat naman ng kinakain natin meronng chemical content, i think we just need to make sure na nakukuha lang natin ung tamang amount

23. i cant understand what is the ingredients

24. Hi Rowena, thank you sa pagsubaybay. Sana di ka magsawa. Ingat lagi!

25. i really want to try this, i am truly thankful sa inyo dahil d kau nagdadamot ishare ang knowledge nyo sa cooking.thank you.SAn nga pala video nito parekoy?

26. do chicken meat can be a replacement in pork? isnt the ingredients are the same? i cant cooked pork in my work(israel). but wat i hav learned from this cooking videos i cooked with my employer n she loved the taste (more on chicken recipes)!

• happy_pinoy says:

Yes! chicken can be used, I perfer it cause of the fact it has less fat on the meat. Yummy!!!

27. look good but the ingredients are hard to find……….

28. pls write the common names of ingredients.

29. I’ll have to try this recipe, it looks really good

30. any idea where these ingredients can be bought?

• jade bienvenu says:

hey, you can find those ingredients at grocery stores. its not hard to find, for sure u can find it at big supermarkets like robinsons or sm. its where i usually buy ing. for tocino…

31. Got mine from amazon.com. Can’t seem to find it locally.

32. I found some of the ingredients at the chemist shop (drugstore).