Lumpiang Shanghai or Spring Rolls is a dish made-up of ground pork or beef, minced onion, carrots, and spices with the mixture held together by beaten egg. It is of Chinese origin (originally called lunpia) and was brought to the Philippines by Chinese immigrants from the Fujian province. In the Philippines, Lumpiang Shanghai is a common menu during celebrations and feasts (just like the Pancit Bihon). It is best if combined with sweet and sour sauce but on some occasions Banana ketchup is preferred. I like Lumpiang Shanghai because I have been eating this dish since I was a child. There is a sense of nostalgia every time I eat it. Another good thing about Lumpia is that you can store the uncooked pieces in the freezer for weeks until needed. This Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe requires raw pork to be wrapped before frying. There are other recipes that dictates for the pork to be cooked first before wrapping. This is then fried at the end. This is a matter of preference; the choice is yours. This is best served with sweet and sour sauce.
If you want another version of this dish, try our Spring Rolls Recipe.
Try this Lumpiang Shanghai recipe and let us hear your feedback.
Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground pork
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lumpia wrapper (Spring roll skin)
- 3 to 6 cups cooking oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients with the pork starting with the onion, carrots, green onions, parsley, salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and 1 piece raw egg. Mix well.
- Wrap the about 1 to1 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture in a lumpia wrapper (for proper way, see video). Do this until all the mixture are consumed.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep fryer (350F). Deep fry the lumpia for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the deep fryer and let the excess oil drip.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with sweet and sour sauce .
- Share and Enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 8