Chicken Pastel is a yummy dish that is usually served with pie crust on top. Not to be mistaken with the Brazilian Pastel, the crust of this Chicken Pastel Recipe is very similar to that of buko pie and empanada.
When it comes to its overall flavor, Chicken Pastel can be compared to chicken pot pie or turkey pot pie. The only distinguising factor is the chorizo which also gives this dish a wonderful unique flavor.
You can always try to play around adding some ingredients to tailor to your preference. for example, I usually add chopped boiled eggs when I make this for myself. You can also add other ingredients that can enhance the flavor and texture of your own chicken Pastel.
Try this Chicken Pastel recipe and let me know what you think.
- Pastry dough
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 pieces Chorizo (or Chinese sausage)
- 2 pieces Beef franks (or Vienna sausage, hotdogs)
- 1 regular sized carrots, cubed
- 1 regular sized potato, cubed
- 2 1/2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 to 10 pieces green olives
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 pc lemon (or 5 pieces calamansi)
- 1 cup white mushroom sliced (or button mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- Marinade the chicken in lemon and soy sauce mixture for a minimum of 10 minutes
- In a pot, place 3 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Add the salt and pepper then put-in the chicken
- Let the chicken cook until tender. Set aside
- On the same pan, apply heat and melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Put-in the cooked chicken and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Chorizo (or Chinese sausage) and beef franks (or Vienna sausage, hotdogs) and simmer for 5 minutes
- Pour the chicken stock and bring to a boil
- Put-in the carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and green olives. Mix and simmer for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, prepare the flour and butter mixture in a separate pan. Heat a small pan and put-in 1/4 cup of butter. Let the butter melt then add 2 tablespoons flour. Stir until the flour absorbs the butter. Pour-in 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly until the mixture becomes smooth and thick.
- Thicken the sauce by adding flour and butter mixture
- Put the chicken in an oven-safe container and cover the top with dough. Fit the pastry dough on top of the container and trim according to the container size
- Using a fork, shape the edge of the dough by pressing. Cover the edges with aluminum foil to prevent over cooking
- Bake in 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Watch the cooking video: