Leche Flan Recipe

Leche Flan (also known as crème caramel and caramel custard) is a dessert made-up of eggs and milk with a soft caramel on top. This dessert is known throughout the world (especially in Europe) and has been in the dessert menu of most restaurants because of its convenience in preparation and long shelf life.

In the Philippines, Leche Flan is the top dessert of all time. During celebrations such as parties and town fiestas, the dining table won’t be complete without it.I remember the Leche Flan that my Lola Belen makes when I was still living in Las Pinas. It really tasted so rich and heavenly; everyone in our family always requests her to make leche flan during special occasions. As for me, I’m still lucky because my wife knows how to make a good one too (this is actually her recipe). If I did it my way (not the song…please), you might be having Leche Flan that tastes like Egg Pie instead.

Leche Flan

We were trying to search for a llanera or the oblong shape tin container that is normally used to make Leche Flan in the Philippines, but we cannot locate one from our local stores. We ended up getting a round baking pan online. It was worth it though and we were able to make many delicious cake varieties from it too.

Try this Leche Flan Recipe and let me know what you think.

Leche Flan Recipe

• 10 pieces raw eggs
    • 1 small can condensed milk
    • 1 cup fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    1. Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
    2. Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater
    3. Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly
    4. Pour-in the fresh milk and mix well
    5. Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire
    6. Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. Note: Sometimes it is hard to find a Llanera (Traditional flan mold) depending on your location. I find it more convenient to use individual Round Pans in making leche flan.
    7. Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold
    8. Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold
    9. Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil
    10. Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
    11. After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate
    12. Serve for dessert. Share and Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing this post! I appreciate you.

Comments

1. Julirose says:

during the holidays it has already been a hobby of mine to make some leche flans. Next christmas i would surely try your recipe and hope it would turn out good! :D

2. thanks for the recipe. what do you do with the egg whites though? any recommended recipe for that?

3. i like your steamer…where can i buy? what brand?

4. Gerald Llave says:

Thanks for all the recipes that you had published. It’s been a pleasure to having you in my kictchen. My wife and kid love your recipes sooo much.
      Keep up the good work and publish NEW recipes online like Beef Kaldereta,
      If you have one….

G

5. you will not be able to pathom how much i love your blog, amazing.
      if i can only fly to chicago right know, just to shake your hand!
      you are very much appreciated here in northridge,ca.
      i tried making your leche flan yesterday…success :)

6. I just tried this few hours ago! and its really yummmy! Im going to try you Max’s style chicken tomorrow!

7. mckim, oks lang na walang vanilla but make sure you add lemon zest.

8. i tried making ur leche flan recipe but instead of steaming it i placed it in the oven.. i placed my lianera in a bigger tray half filled with hot water then baked it…the testure is much better…

9. How many ml is the small can of condensed milk? We kind have a really small can here and a medium one like the one (I think) you’re using. Thanks!

• Elle, I’m not really sure as to how many ml is a can of condensed milk but what I know is it weights 14 ounces or 396 grams. It should be indicated on the label of the can.

10. renka of NL says:

HI, i made the leche flan perfect!!!haha and my husband likes it a lot and me too:) but i have a question, can i use a self rising flour for making a buttered puto and chicken empanada? i cant find baking powder here in netherlands,pls.reply i’m waiting:) thank you.

11. Hi Vanjo,thanks to your wife for sharing her recipe.This is my all time favorite.Leche flan was an entry to a national tv cooking show here in England and Brits loved it!I guess somehow we were able to reached out and proved them that Filipino cooking can be as good as any other countries has to offer….You’re almost there:)

12. Kathy R. Fadrigalan says:

thanks for ur recipe, my daughter really loves it! though, i want a smoother texture, how can i get rid of the bubbles.. thank u so much! i also love the video ‘coz it really help me since i didnt know how to cook.. whenever i want to cook or try something special for my hubby and daughter i’ll just look up from ur site.. thanks much..

13. I also add a drop or two of vanilla extract when making the caramel. Then I mix all the flan ingredients in a blender while cooling the caramel then pour it in, saves time and easier clean up. Also, let is settle to get rid of the bubbles. I normally use oven to cook the flan, i just put them in a water bath and cover with foil. Sometimes i add half a teaspoon of shredded lemon or orange peel for variations. Also, you can make this with out any egg white to make it creamier.

14. I also add a drop or two of vanilla extract when making the caramel. Then I miss all the flan ingredients in a blender while cooling the caramel then pour it in, saves time and easier clean up. I normally use oven to cook the flan, i just put them in a water bath. Sometimes i add half a teaspoon of shredded lemon or orange peel for variations.

15. Its nice to hear from you again. Though it sounds efficient to steam both, I would still advice you to steam them separately. You wouldn’t want your leche flan to taste like embutido, right? Hope this helps.

16. Alondra says:

Fantastica! Keep it up!

17. tnx po. i’ll cook it for my husband.

18. Thanks sa Recipe, Kuya. Your site help me to make the Filipino Delicacy Yummy..It’s hard to be away from home..Thanks again! Keep going!

19. Thanks for sharing your recipe. For someone like me who is far away from home, I get to cook Filipino dishes and with that, it makes me feel like home. I am definitely going to follow all of your Pinoy dishes and share to my husband and friends. I am sure they will love it!

20. Hi!!!

It was my first time to make leche flan and with your help, I made it perfect! I never knew that fresh milk was better than evaporated milk. Your recipe was really good. Many thanks!!!

Rossy from Aussie

21. hi.. Thank u for this video.. I’ll try this one.

22. hi there!

I am so pleased to see this cooking site. You’re doing a good job! I’m actually in Australia and really loving your site. Please continue to share your skills in cooking. It’s definitely helping a lot of people.

More power!!!

23. hi kuya, i will definitely try this one..coz leche flan is one of my favorites..thank u!

24. Greetings:

Hi again, i used to make leche flan even before but its tasted so sweet! but once i tried ur own recipe minus the vanilla essence but instead adding the lime’s skin, well it goes perfectly sweet & yummy and appreciated by my friends.
      Definitely gonna try this again…..and again……and againnnn.

Next time i’ll try the cassava cake…this is making me so hungry!
      I’ll keep u posted! Thanks

Thanks & regards,
      Lheeza

25. 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 to 50 minutes Marie.

26. Hi! May I know if we can double or triple the recipe when mixing and just put it in separate molds for steaming? Thanks.

27. angelyk says:

i wanna try this one.. thank you

28. Kuya,

I love your posted recipe…this is a perfect recipe for leche plan. Kuya, I always make sure to visit your website for new recipe everyday so please always post recipe so often. I sometimes copied it and send to my brod and sister too. Thanks and more power.

29. hi i was thingking of buying cook book but i tyhink i dont need it anymore after watching your program thanks and more power melca here from IRELAND

30. for additional taste…you can also add a little of lemon zest or calamansi.suggestion lang po. Buti naman may mga ganitong site that can help or guide us in our cooking. Keep up the good work. Thanks!

31. Thank you sam.

32. Aj Carty says:

i’ve been using oven ever since i started making this ….. 350 degrees for 1 and half hour ……the result is awesome…..

33. Hi Aj, what did you do? You just mix all the ingredients and then put in the oven? I wanna try this using oven. Thanks!

34. elizabeth ducut says:

I tried this recipee last night and it’s a success! just added some lemon rinds on top before puting on to steam. the waiting hour for the caramel to totally melt is worth the wait thou. I’d like to try adding some bits of jackfruit next time to add flavors just like my mother-in-law’s way.