Leche Flan Recipe

Leche Flan (also known as crème caramel and caramel custard) is a dessert made-up of eggs and milk with a soft caramel on top. This dessert is known throughout the world (especially in Europe) and has been in the dessert menu of most restaurants because of its convenience in preparation and long shelf life. In the Philippines, Leche Flan is the top dessert of all time. During celebrations such as parties and town fiestas, the dining table won’t be complete without it.I remember the Leche Flan that my Lola Belen makes when I was still living in Las Pinas. It really tasted so rich and heavenly; everyone in our family always requests her to make leche flan during special occasions. As for me, I’m still lucky because my wife knows how to make a good one too (this is actually her recipe). If I did it my way (not the song…please), you might be having Leche Flan that tastes like Egg Pie instead. We were trying to search for a llanera or the oblong shape tin container that is normally used to make Leche Flan in the Philippines, but we cannot locate one from our local stores. We ended up getting a round baking pan from Amazon. It was worth it though and we were able to make many delicious cake varieties from it too.

Try this Leche Flan Recipe and let me know what you think.

Leche Flan

Leche Flan Recipe

• 10 pieces raw eggs
  • 1 small can condensed milk
  • 1 cup fresh milk (or evaporated milk)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
  2. Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater
  3. Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly
  4. Pour-in the fresh milk and mix well
  5. Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire
  6. Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color
  7. Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold
  8. Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold
  9. Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil
  10. Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
  11. After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate
  12. Serve for dessert. Share and Enjoy!

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

Comments

1. for additional taste…you can also add a little of lemon zest or calamansi.suggestion lang po. Buti naman may mga ganitong site that can help or guide us in our cooking. Keep up the good work. Thanks!

2. hi i was thingking of buying cook book but i tyhink i dont need it anymore after watching your program thanks and more power melca here from IRELAND

3. Kuya,

I love your posted recipe…this is a perfect recipe for leche plan. Kuya, I always make sure to visit your website for new recipe everyday so please always post recipe so often. I sometimes copied it and send to my brod and sister too. Thanks and more power.

4. angelyk says:

i wanna try this one.. thank you

5. Hi! May I know if we can double or triple the recipe when mixing and just put it in separate molds for steaming? Thanks.

6. 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 to 50 minutes Marie.

7. Greetings:

Hi again, i used to make leche flan even before but its tasted so sweet! but once i tried ur own recipe minus the vanilla essence but instead adding the lime’s skin, well it goes perfectly sweet & yummy and appreciated by my friends.
    Definitely gonna try this again…..and again……and againnnn.

Next time i’ll try the cassava cake…this is making me so hungry!
    I’ll keep u posted! Thanks

Thanks & regards,
    Lheeza

8. hi kuya, i will definitely try this one..coz leche flan is one of my favorites..thank u!

9. hi there!

I am so pleased to see this cooking site. You’re doing a good job! I’m actually in Australia and really loving your site. Please continue to share your skills in cooking. It’s definitely helping a lot of people.

More power!!!

10. hi.. Thank u for this video.. I’ll try this one.

11. Hi!!!

It was my first time to make leche flan and with your help, I made it perfect! I never knew that fresh milk was better than evaporated milk. Your recipe was really good. Many thanks!!!

Rossy from Aussie

12. Thanks for sharing your recipe. For someone like me who is far away from home, I get to cook Filipino dishes and with that, it makes me feel like home. I am definitely going to follow all of your Pinoy dishes and share to my husband and friends. I am sure they will love it!

13. Thanks sa Recipe, Kuya. Your site help me to make the Filipino Delicacy Yummy..It’s hard to be away from home..Thanks again! Keep going!

14. tnx po. i’ll cook it for my husband.

15. Alondra says:

Fantastica! Keep it up!

16. Its nice to hear from you again. Though it sounds efficient to steam both, I would still advice you to steam them separately. You wouldn’t want your leche flan to taste like embutido, right? Hope this helps.

17. I also add a drop or two of vanilla extract when making the caramel. Then I miss all the flan ingredients in a blender while cooling the caramel then pour it in, saves time and easier clean up. I normally use oven to cook the flan, i just put them in a water bath. Sometimes i add half a teaspoon of shredded lemon or orange peel for variations.

18. I also add a drop or two of vanilla extract when making the caramel. Then I mix all the flan ingredients in a blender while cooling the caramel then pour it in, saves time and easier clean up. Also, let is settle to get rid of the bubbles. I normally use oven to cook the flan, i just put them in a water bath and cover with foil. Sometimes i add half a teaspoon of shredded lemon or orange peel for variations. Also, you can make this with out any egg white to make it creamier.

19. Kathy R. Fadrigalan says:

thanks for ur recipe, my daughter really loves it! though, i want a smoother texture, how can i get rid of the bubbles.. thank u so much! i also love the video ‘coz it really help me since i didnt know how to cook.. whenever i want to cook or try something special for my hubby and daughter i’ll just look up from ur site.. thanks much..

20. Hi Vanjo,thanks to your wife for sharing her recipe.This is my all time favorite.Leche flan was an entry to a national tv cooking show here in England and Brits loved it!I guess somehow we were able to reached out and proved them that Filipino cooking can be as good as any other countries has to offer….You’re almost there:)

21. renka of NL says:

HI, i made the leche flan perfect!!!haha and my husband likes it a lot and me too:) but i have a question, can i use a self rising flour for making a buttered puto and chicken empanada? i cant find baking powder here in netherlands,pls.reply i’m waiting:) thank you.

22. How many ml is the small can of condensed milk? We kind have a really small can here and a medium one like the one (I think) you’re using. Thanks!

• Elle, I’m not really sure as to how many ml is a can of condensed milk but what I know is it weights 14 ounces or 396 grams. It should be indicated on the label of the can.

23. i tried making ur leche flan recipe but instead of steaming it i placed it in the oven.. i placed my lianera in a bigger tray half filled with hot water then baked it…the testure is much better…

24. mckim, oks lang na walang vanilla but make sure you add lemon zest.

25. I just tried this few hours ago! and its really yummmy! Im going to try you Max’s style chicken tomorrow!

26. you will not be able to pathom how much i love your blog, amazing.
    if i can only fly to chicago right know, just to shake your hand!
    you are very much appreciated here in northridge,ca.
    i tried making your leche flan yesterday…success :)

27. Gerald Llave says:

Thanks for all the recipes that you had published. It’s been a pleasure to having you in my kictchen. My wife and kid love your recipes sooo much.
    Keep up the good work and publish NEW recipes online like Beef Kaldereta,
    If you have one….

G

28. i like your steamer…where can i buy? what brand?

29. thanks for the recipe. what do you do with the egg whites though? any recommended recipe for that?

30. Julirose says:

during the holidays it has already been a hobby of mine to make some leche flans. Next christmas i would surely try your recipe and hope it would turn out good! :D