Crema de Fruta is a layered Filipino dessert made-up of sponge cake, custard, a fruit coktail layer, and topped with gelatin. This is considered as a special dessert because the preparation and ingredients involved are above ordinary. This cake recipe is a mainstay during Christmas dinner or “Noche Buena” and other special occasions. Crema de Fruta has always been a Filipino Favorite since time immemorial.
Preparing Crema de Fruta is quite complicated. This is the reason why I tried to stay up a little later in order to complete the video for your guidance. The recipe captures everything that you will need to do, but the steps can be a bit overwhelming. It will help if you are watching an actual demo while attempting to follow the recipe. Don’t get intimidated. I can assure that your patience and hard-work will not go to waste.
I started to record the video for this crema de fruta recipe late in the evening (around 10 pm after arriving from work) and I am so thankful because my wife and kids helped out (I appreciate the help guys). I’m sure that you will love this dessert.
Try this Crema de Fruta Recipe and let me know what you think.
Crema de Fruta Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 pieces egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 big can fruit cocktail (about 30 ++ ounces)
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups water
Watch the cooking video:
- Make the Sponge Cake by sifting the baking powder and 1 cup flour using a flour sifter. Set aside
- Put 4 egg yolks in a mixing bowl and then beat until texture becomes thick.
- Add-in 1/2 cup sugar gradually while beating the egg
- Slowly add the sifted flour and baking powder mixture. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine 1 cup milk, butter, and vanilla extract in a sauce pan then cook until butter melts
- Pour the cooked mixture (milk, butter, vanilla extract) into the mixing bowl and mix with the existing concoction until evenly distributed
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pour the combined mixtures in a baking pan then bake for 23 minutes or until sponge cake is ready. Set aside.
- Make the simple syrup by heating a saucepan and placing 1/4 cup sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup of water immediately and cook until the sugar completely dissolves then let cool for a few minutes
- Pour the simple syrup on top of the sponge cake and thens spread. (I spread the syrup using a brush)
- Make the custard by combining 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 3 cups milk in a saucepan then cook while stirring until the mixture thickens
- Put half of the cooked mixture on the bowl where the 4 egg yolks are placed and then mix well
- Put everything back in the saucepan with the rest of the ingredients. Mix until texture is thick enough (this is now the custard)
- Apply the layer of custard evenly on top of the Sponge cake
- Drain the liquid concentrate from the fruit cocktail and set aside.
- Arrange all the fruits on top of the custard layer. Make sure to place them evenly
- Dilute the gelatin in 2 cups of water
- Heat the saucepan then pour the diluted gelatin and fruit cocktail concentrate and bring to a boil
- Immediately after boiling, turn off the heat and let cool down until temperature is a little above normal room temperature
- Pour the gelatin mixture on top of the fruit cocktail layer
- Refrigerate (preferably overnight)
- Serve chilled for dessert. Share and Enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 8