Kamote Que is deep fried sweet potatoes with a coating of caramelized brown sugar. This is a common meryenda (mid-afternoon snack) in the Philippines and can mostly be seen peddled around the busy streets.
I would say that Kamote Que is one of the top selling meryenda because of its affordability and filling effect (it can make you feel full for several hours). This can also recharge your energy temporarily (carb and sugar combined makes you hyperactive ).
Try this sweet meryenda : Kamote Que.
1 lb sweet potato, sliced crosswise about 1.5 cm thick (Asian sweet potato is preferred)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cooking oil
Watch the cooking video:
1. Heat the pan and pour the cooking oil.
2. Let the cooking oil heat-up then put-in the brown sugar.
3. When the brown sugar floats, put-in the sweet potato and fry for 7 to 10 minutes. Flip the sweet potato once in a while to allow the sugar to stick.
4. Remove the sweet potato from the pan one after the other. You could directly skewer the fried sweet potatoes once removed from the pan.
5. Let it cool down for a few minutes then serve. Share and Enjoy.