Spaghetti and Meatballs is a pasta dish consisting of spaghetti (a long, thin, and cylindrically shaped pasta that is of Italian origin), tomato sauce, and meatballs. Though spaghetti originated from Italy, it is said that this particular dish was first cooked in New York by Italian immigrants. However, there are claims that a similar version of this dish was served in Sicily even before it became famous in the USA.
This can be considered as a healthy food. The crushed tomatoes produces Lycopene (cancer fighting agents) when cooked for a certain period of time. Herbs such as fresh basil and parsley also contribute to the health benefits of this dish. In addition, baked meatballs contain less oil and fat compared to the fried ones.
Try this Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe.
Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 24 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Chinese parsley, chopped
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce1 egg, beaten
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 piece raw egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Watch the cooking video:
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, 2 cloves garlic, egg, salt and pepper then mix thoroughly.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and mold until a spherical shape is formed. Continue this step until the mixture is consumed.
- Arrange the molded mixture in a greased baking tray then preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 15 minutes.
- Heat a cooking pot then pour-in olive oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, sauté the garlic and onions.
- Pour-in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the beef stock, parsley, and basil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put-in the ¼ cup parmesan cheese and baked meatballs them simmer for 5 minutes
- Place on top of the cooked spaghetti then serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 5 to 7