Part of our culinary adventure is learning the proper method of preparing the ingredients. This article is intended to visually demonstrate the proper steps in dicing an onion. There are no incorrect procedure as long as the goal is achieved but following best practices tend to make work simple and easier.
Are you also doing the same method?
1. Using a knife, cut-off the pointy end of the onion.
2. Stand the onion up using the cut end as the base and divide it into two equal pieces by slicing in half through the root then peel off the skin.
3. Position half of the onion (cut-side facing down) and slice horizontally on the center. Make sure you don’t slice too far so that the root part is still in one piece.
4. Make a series of vertical slices (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart) ; do not slice through the root.
5. Hold the side with the root then perform a series of vertical slices perpendicular to what you did in the fourth step. The diced onion pieces will automatically be detached after every slice.