Crispy Spinach is an appetizer dish where in spinach are dipped in a batter and fried until crispy. This is a very simple recipe that takes minimal effort and time to prepare. If you like having Chicharon (pork rinds) then you might want to try this recipe as a healthier alternative – just make sure to line paper towels on the plate to absorb excess oil.
I grew up eating a similar kind of dish: Crispy Kangkong. It goes well as an appetizer for fried dishes.
The key to this recipe is the type of dipping sauce that you will use. Although the texture of fried leaves are good, the taste is close to none. Having a good tasting dipping sauce should make up for the lack of taste of this dish. The Asian Dipping Sauce does a great job in giving life to this crispy fried dish.
Try this Crispy Spinach recipe and let me know what you think.
Crispy Spinach Recipe
- 30 to 40 baby spinach or savoy leaves
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece raw egg
- 1 1/2 cups cooking oil
Watch the cooking video:
- Combine flour, egg, salt, and water and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat a small cooking pot or frying pan then pour-in the cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, dip the spinach in the batter one after the other (the mixture that you prepared in step 1) and fry each side until crispy. Repeat this step until all the leaves are cooked.
- Remove from the pot or pan and transfer to a plate lined with paper towel (this will absorb the oil).
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with Asian Dipping Sauce.
- Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 6