Fried chicken has always been a top favorite. I like fried chicken and I want to try the best fried chicken recipes around. My mission is to try all the fried chicken recipes that claim to be the best and share them with you, our loyal followers and friends. Of course, my goal won’t be complete without featuring buttermilk fried chicken.
A good fried chicken should be juicy and tender in the inside while crispy in the outside, at least for me. This Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe has all the three characteristics that I am looking for plus it is less greasy.
This recipe makes use of buttermilk which, in my opinion, does a great job in tenderizing the chicken and keeping its juices. Buttermilk is a low fat fermented dairy product made from cow’s milk. This has a sour taste brought about by the lactic acid bacteria that it holds.
We all know that fried chicken is cooked by frying the chicken in oil (that’s how it got its name in the first place). You might find this recipe a little unusual because the process also involves baking. You see, baking the chicken after frying for a short time makes it crispy in the outside and maintains all the juice inside while it cooks; it also lets excess oil drip.
Check out this Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe and send me your feedback.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Watch the cooking video:
- Combine chicken and buttermilk in a large mixing bowl then mix well.
- Place the mixture inside the fridge and marinade overnight.
- Combine flour, salt, and ground black pepper then mix well.
- Dredge the marinated chicken in the flour mixture then set aside.
- Heat a frying pan and pour-in olive oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, pan fry the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the semi-fried chicken in a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the semi-fried chicken for 30 minutes then reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and transfer the chicken to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4