Breaded Deep fried pork cutlets are called Tonkatsu in Japanese. This is a popular lunch dish in Japan and is often served on top of steamed rice with shredded cabbage and miso soup. This tonkatsu recipe that we have here will guide you on how to cook tonkatsu fast and easy.
Pork loin and pork fillets are two of the regularly cuts of pork used to make this dish. Throughout the years, Japanese food has evolved and has been embraced by countries all over the world.
In the Philippines, Tonkatsu along with other Japanese food became a big hit. Several new Japanese fast food restaurants sprouting around the city are the evidence. Aside from Japanese restaurants, this dish can be seen served in Japanese inspired food kiosks or in food courts of major malls and shopping centers.
On a different note; this feature made me realize that I haven’t gotten back to some emails and responses from our “kababayans” in Japan. I want to say hello and “kamusta” to the talented Filipino chefs and cooks working in Japan; also to our hard-working “kababayans” out there. Continue doing your best in every endeavor and make our country proud.
Try this Pork Loin Tonkatsu Recipe.
- 4 pieces pork loin slices
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups cooking oil
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced and pounded
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced and pounded
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- Pound the meat to flatten a little then rub salt and ground pepper all over. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to absorb the flavor.
- Dredge the loin chops in flour then dip in the beaten egg mixture.
- Place the chops in a container with bread crumbs and shake until the sides of the loin chops are coated.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan then pour-in cooking oil.
- Deep fry for 5 to 7 minutes. Do not cook in high heat as it will burn the bread crumbs before the meat is done.
- Turn-off heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Make the sauce by heating a saucepan and combining all the sauce ingredients. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the texture of the sauce thickens.
- Top the fried loin chops with sauce and serve with shredded cabbage.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!