Shared Recipe. Cynthia’s Sugar-free Carrot Pandan Puto

This is a shared recipe by Cynthia Magallanes. This recipe is one of her entries for the ongoing Panlasang Pinoy Recipe Contest .  Do you want to earn extra bucks for your recipe? Submit your recipe now!

I made this specially for my mom so she can eat as much without risking her sugar level. I actually got the recipe from Panlasang Pinoy, but I used Splenda instead of sugar; this made it sugar-free. I also added a little water. I felt that adding carrots would make this healthier; so, I added some. By the way, I’m planning to work on my Sugar Free Malunggay Pandan Puto later.

Ingredients:

4 cups sifted all purpose flour

1/4 cup splenda (35 packets)

3 tablespoons baking powder

1/2 cup evaporated milk

1/2 cup butter

1 egg

2 cups water

1/2 cup shredded carrots

3/4 teaspoon pandan essence

Cheese & salted eggs for topping

Procedure:

1. Combine all the first 3 dry ingredients, mix well.

2. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

3. Pour the mixture into the molds and top w/ cheese & red eggs.

4. Steam for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Recommended for you

Comments

1. Lee Ann says:

This recipe looks good except for Splenda. These artificial sweeteners (e.g Equal, Splenda, Sweet n Low, etc.) are toxic and actually can cause a lot of diseases and believe it or not can make you actually fat. If you do not want to use real sugar then I would suggest you use stevia, a plant based and a safe sugar substitute (a well known brand is Truvia).

2. veron says:

if i will substitute it with sugar the splenda…..will i use the same measurement?

• cynnch says:

if you will not make your puto sugar free, you can get the best recipe of puto from panlasang pinoy using sugar.

3. yon ba slenda same as candrill…a powdered sweetener?

• cynnch says:

yes. i used splenda because they said it’s better than any other sweetener and i believe so.

• I know that a lot of people are using artifical sweetener these days. Myself, idon’t care for any of them. They all leave a funny after taste.

4. cynnch says:

it’s a flavoring in bottles like vanilla. mccormick has it. :-)

5. where can i get splenda?

6. cynnch says:

gigi
    i just deligently measured the equivalent of how many tsps there are in a cup and that’s how i got the ratio. 1 3/4 cups of sugar = 1/4 c of sweetener (splenda). each sweetener (in packets) is equivalent to 2 tsps of sugar. :-)

7. hello!! great sugar free recipe.. would just like to know if there is an aftertaste when the sweetener was used? some sweetener tend to leave a bitter-ish aftertaste?

• cynnch says:

it doesn’t leave any after taste. it taste as good as using ordinary sugar.

• thanks! will surely try this on my baking yummies :-) just one more question.. what ratio did you use to substitute sugar with sweetener thanks again :-)

8. camille says:

ano po yung slenda?

9. katcat says:

Can you also bake it using an oven?