Barbecued Pork is also known as Char Siu. This is an Oriental Barbecue recipe wherein pork is marinated in a sweet concoction and then roasted. Barbecued Pork can be served as a main dish by itself. It is also a very important ingredient to other dishes. Char Siu makes Yang Chow fried rice taste good. It is also used to add flavor to soups and other dishes.
The process of making this dish is different from other barbeque dishes. Barbecued pork requires moisture and convection. It is usually hanged in an oven and roasted with boiling water underneath. For this recipe, we will be doing almost the same thing, but we will be using common kitchen tools and equipments.
You will need a roasting pan and a wire rack. A roasting pan is a deep metal pan that is usually used to roast turkey and chicken. The wire rack comes with the roasting pan. Hot or boiling water is poured in the roasting pan while the wire rack is placed on top. The marinated pork is arranged over the wire rack without touching the water. This is roasted and basted until done.
If you are doing this for the first time, please take extra precaution. Your safety is more important than good food.
Try this Barbecued Pork recipe and let me know your thoughts.
Barbecued Pork recipe
- 2 lbs pork, sliced into strips (6x2x2 inches)
- 2 tablespoons sherry or rhum
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 cups boiling water
- Make the marinade by combining sugar, sherry, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and oyster sauce. Stir and set aside.
- Place pork in a Ziploc or a bowl then pour-in the marinade. Place inside the fridge and marinate for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour boiling water in a roasting pan.
- Put a wire rack over the roasting pan and arrange the marinated pork. Note: Make sure that the pork does not touch the water.
- Roast for 16 minutes, and then baste with the remaining marinade.
- Turn the heat down to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and roast for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of water to the honey and mix. Baste the pork with the honey mixture and continue roasting for 5 minutes or until the pork turns brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Slice and then transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 4