Pork Kaldereta is a Filipino tomato based stew dish. It is composed of cubed pork ham or belly, potato, carrots, tomato sauce, liver spread and other vegetables.
The secret in preparing a good pork kaldereta is all in the meat. Make sure to use high quality meat because this can make or break the outcome of your dish. I also recommend the use of liver spread because it will make your kaldereta stand out.
Remember that a true kaldereta dish should have liver spread or liver paste as one of its ingredients. Green olives, on the other hand, will give your dish a nice sour flavor that will compliment well with the other ingredients. You can do without it, but it is better to cook with green olives at least once when making kaldereta so that you will understand what I’m talking about.
Try this Pork Kaldereta recipe. Let me know what you think.
Pork Kaldereta Recipe
- 2 lbs. Pork, cubed
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ¾ cup green olives
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 medium baking potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 32 oz. beef broth
- ½ cup liver spread
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Watch the cooking video:
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil is hot, saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the pork. Stir and cook for for 5 minutes or until the color turns light to medium brown.
- Pour-in the tomato sauce and beef broth. Let boil. Cover and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Add the liver spread. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Put-in the carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the olives and bell peppers. Cook covered for 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn-off the heat. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 5