Monggo Guisado with Dilis and Malunggay is a delicious Filipino dish composed of mung beans, dried anchovies, and moringa. This is a simple everyday dish that goes well with warm rice and more of it.
There are more than a handful recipes that involves balatong or mung beans. You can mix and match the ingredients and come-up with your own version of Monggo Guisado. The trick here is to use the ingredients that will work well if mixed with mung beans. Pork and shrimp are included in the usual recipe, while you can make use of dilis (anchovies), daing, and tuyo and see what you like best. As for the vegetable, malunggay, hot pepper leaves (dahon ng sili), and spinach can be used. I am using malunggay for this recipe. It is a simple vegetable with lots of good benefits to our health. See how malunggay can help us stay healthy.
Some people like their monggo dish to have more liquid in it, as if it were as a soup dish. This recipe will give you a soup-like result that you can enjoy with steamed white rice.
Try this Monggo Guisado with Dilis and Malunggay Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1¼ cups mung beans
- 4 to 6 cups water
- ½ cup dried anchovies (dilis)
- 1 cup malunggay leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium plum tomato, diced
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- Boil 5 cups of water in a cooking pot. Add the mung beans and continue to boil for 35 to 40 minutes until the mung beans expand a little and become soft (Note: add more water if needed). Set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a separate cooking pot.
- Saute the garlic and onion. Add the tomato and continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Put-in the dried anchovies. Stir.
- Add the boiled mung beans. Stir. And continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour 1 to 2 cups of water. Let boil. Turn the heat between low and medium and continue to cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add-in the malunggay leaves. Stir.
- Pour-in fish sauce and put some ground black pepper. Stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!