Ginarep or shrimp and corn soup with malunggay is a tasty soup dish that originated from the Bicol region. This simple yet healthy soup is packed with vitamins and nutrients that gives you energy to face your day — take it easy on the shrimp though.
In this recipe, I added the shrimp close to the last part of the process because I did not want to overcook them. However, if you saute the shrimp along with the onion and tomato– I recommend that you immediately remove the shrimp after a minute and add it back during the final steps of the process.
Ginarep is best consumed during lunch or even in the morning. It is the perfect dish to serve during cold weather (and snowstorms too). Have you had this dish lately?
Try this Ginarep Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. shrimp, head and shell removed
- 2 (15 oz.) cans whole kernel corns
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium plum tomato, diced
- 1½ cups malunggay leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking Procedure
- Shred the kernel corn using a food processor. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute the garlic, onion, and tomatoes.
- Once the onion and tomatoes become soft, add the shredded corn. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour-in the chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the shrimp. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Put-in the malunggay leaves. cook for a minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!