I enjoy eating salads. One type of salad that I truly like is what I call Potato Salad with Carrots and Pineapple. Some might refer to it simply as potato salad. I remember having this salad for the longest time and I still enjoy it until today.
I like Potato Salad with Carrots and Pineapple because it is simple, easy to prepare, and delicious; this recipe is also budget friendly.I use baking potatoes a lot and this recipe is not an exception. Idaho potatoes are perfect for this potato salad recipe.
As for the carrots, I am using medium sized loose carrots. These are the thick carrot variety that you see in the supermarket. Of course, you can always use baby carrots for this recipe. With the pineapple, you can easily grab a can of pineapple chunks.
I suggest that you use light mayonnaise or olive oil based mayonnaise for this recipe. It still has that delicious mayo taste and texture, but you will feel less guilty because it does not contain the same amount of calories and fat from regular mayonnaise.
I enjoy this salad as a side dish for pinoy pork barbecue. I know, the combination is unusual, but it works for me. Maybe you should try it too. Oh — and before I forget, make sure that you serve this salad chilled. An hour in the fridge is just about right. Enjoy!
Try this Potato Salad with Carrots and Pineapple recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- ¾ cups light mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups water
- Pour the water in a deep cooking pot, Bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and then boil until the vegetables becomes soft (about 10 to 12 minutes). Soak the boiled potatoes and carrots in a bowl with cold water to stop the cooking process. This will prevent the vegetables from being overcooked.
- Remove the vegetables from the bowl and pat dry using a paper towel. Dice the potatoes and carrots and place in a large bowl. Add the diced pineapple, toss gently, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well. Taste the mixture and make sure that the salt and pepper is just about right.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture on the bowl with potatoes. Gently toss until the mixture coats the potatoes, carrots, and pineapple.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!