Brined Roast Beef has always been popular because of many reasons. The main reason is probably its great flavor especially when dipped roast beef gravy; it also goes well with almost any side dish. I personally like roast beef with mashed potatoes. Roast beef sandwich is also a good idea. One thing common to Filipinos is roast beef with rice, which I think is also a good combination.
Making roast beef may sound like a simple thing — well, that is true. All you have to do is season the beef and roast it in the oven. However, roast beef is best when it is juicy and moist in the inside. It should also absorb the spices to make it even taste better. I make this possible by soaking the beef in brine before roasting it. This method helps the flavor to penetrate the meat and keep the moisture in. This brined roast beef recipe will really be helpful if you like your roast beef the way I do.
To make the brine, I combine all the ingredients for brining and let it boil for a while. The temperature is balanced by shocking the brine with ice cubes. I then arrange the beef in a large resealable bag and pour the brine with ice in it. The process is completed by sealing the bag and placing it in the refrigerator overnight before roasting.
- 3 lbs ribeye or eye of round
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons sea salt
- 2½ tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ginger powder
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1½ cups water
- 3 cups ice cubes
- Combine all the brining ingredients in a saucepan, except for the ice cubes. Mix well.
- Place the saucepan in a stovetop. Let boil and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Arrange the ice cubes in a large metal mixing bowl. Pour-in the boiling mixture in the mixing bowl. Stir.
- Meanwhile, place the beef inside a large resealable bag. Pour the brine mixture inside the bag. Seal and place inside the refrigerator. Let it brine for 16 to 20 hours.
- After brining the meat, discard the brine. Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Rub salt, pepper, and garlic powder all over the meat and then place it in a roasting rack.
- Roast the beef for 23 to 27 minutes per pound. Note: A 3 lbs. beef needs to be roasted for 69 to 81 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the oven. Let is rest for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Carve the roast beef. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!