I love the idea of being able to make my own chicken noodle soup at home. Aside from having the chance to enhance my cooking skills, I also get the opportunity to make chicken noodle soup the way I like it, and within my budget. This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is exactly how I want it done.
Most of us turn to chicken soups whenever we feel cold or if we are not feeling well. There is something to chicken soup or homemade chicken noodle soup that makes us feel better and comfortable – not to mention, that it never fails to keep me warm on a cold day. I think that this homemade chicken noodle soup recipe and chicken noodle soups, in general, has that power of recharging the body with energy and makes us feel better.
As I was looking around for answers on what is in chicken noodle soup that makes a person feel better and recover quickly from colds, sore throat, fatigue, and headache, I was not able to find a solid answer. There is no study, so far, mentioning a single component of chicken noodle soup or chicken soup that makes the magic happens. I think that I am okay with this for the mean time – what is important is that this chicken noodle soup recipe that I have here can possibly work wonders for me and you.
Try this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe. Cheers!
- 2½ lbs chicken (whole)
- 4 to 5 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 12 to 15 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery stalk, diced
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large cooking pot.
- Add-in 1 cup carrots, ¾ cups celery, half of the diced onions, 1 teaspoon thyme, ¼ cup chopped parsley. Let the broth reboil and continue to boil (covered) for 10 minutes.
- Put-in the whole chicken. Let the broth boil once more. Adjust the heat to a simmer and continue to cook the chicken for 60 to 90 minutes. This will make the chicken tender while extracting its flavor.
- Remove the chicken from the cooking pot. Let it cool down and then discard the skin and bones. Chop the chicken meat into small pieces.Make sure that the stock in the cooking pot is continuously simmering.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large saute pan.
- Saute the remaining onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic and continue to saute until the onion becomes soft.
- Add-in the chopped chicken. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Gently slide-in the contents of the saute pan (chicken and the vegetables) to the cooking pot where the stock is in. Increase the heat to medium and wait until the liquid boils.
- Add the egg noodles. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. You can add water if needed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!