Tofu with Tausi and Straw Mushroom is a dish that I enjoy eating occasionally. This dish is made-up of deep fried tofu, tausi or salted black beans, and straw mushroom –- as the title of the dish says. I just want to point out that this recipe makes use of extra firm tofu; I deep-fried the tofu for around 5 minutes until it turned light brown, then I cut it into cubes.
Cooking with salted black beans or tausi can be tricky at first. This ingredient is really salty; it is important that you taste the dish first after adding this ingredient to be sure that your dish taste right. In cases where you added more than the necessary amount of tausi, try to add some water to the dish so that the flavor will be balanced.
Aside from the tofu and tausi, this Tofu with Tausi and Straw Mushroom dish is made even more delicious by the other ingredients such as the chicken broth – which I made by combining water and chicken powder , oyster sauce, ginger, and spring onions. The sherry wine also helps improve the flavor of this dish. I enjoy having this with a cup of brown rice.
Try this Tofu with Tausi and Straw Mushroom Recipe. Enjoy!
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, deep fried and cut into cubes
- 1 (10 oz.) can straw mushroom, water discarded
- 2 tablespoons tausi (salted black beans)
- 1½ teaspoons chicken powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ¼ cup Sherry cooking wine
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch diluted in 3 tablespoons water.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Combine the chicken powder and 1 cup water. Stir and set aside.
- Heat a wok or pan. Pour-in the cooking oil.
- When the oil turns hot, sauté the ginger and green onions for 30 seconds.
- Add the deep fried tofu, salted black beans, and straw mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sherry wine and oyster sauce . Stir.
- Pour-in the water and chicken powder mixture. Let the liquid boil. Continue to cook for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Pour-in the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir and cook for a minute or until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!