Seafood boil is an easy-to-prepare seafood dish composed of mussels, crab legs, shrimp, potato, and corn. It is delicious and can be considered as a complete meal in itself.
I am using king crab legs for this recipe because it is on sale today in our local supermarket and I got it for a very reasonable price. If it weren’t on sale, I would probably use snow crab legs or blue crabs – crawfish is also perfect for this recipe. The mussels, on the other hand, needs to be cleaned before cooking. As for the shrimp, it is best to use shrimp with shell and head on. You can also use frozen shrimp with heads removed, but with shell-on – this is what I had in this recipe.
I think that the sweet corn on the cob really complimented this seafood dish. It makes the dish tastes better. The cute red potato makes the meal complete. I recommend lemon butter sauce for this dish.
In order to make the lemon butter sauce, grab ½ stick of butter and cut it in half. Place the butter in a bowl then microwave for 30 to 40 seconds or until melted. Squeeze half a lemon on the melted butter then stir. You can also add garlic powder to the mixture if you desire. It can also taste more Filipino by using a spiced vinegar dip. Sinamak, pinakurat, and spicy sukang paombong are some of the vinegar dips that you can use.
Before I forget, let me briefly talk about the crab boil seasoning for the benefit of those who are not familiar with it. A crab boil or crawfish boil is a mixture of seasonings that you can get from the grocery. The seasonings are already sealed in a bag and all you have to do is throw the bag in boiling water. Zatarain’s is a good brand that you can use.
Try this Seafood Boil Recipe. Let me know your thoughts.
- 1 lb. mussels, cleaned
- 2 lbs. king crab legs
- 4 pieces sweet corn on the cob (cut in half)
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, with shell
- 7 qt. water
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 thumbs ginger, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (3 oz.) bag crab boil
- Pour water on a large stockpot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cloves, salt, pepper, ginger, garlic, and crab boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the potato and corn. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the crab and mussels. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Put-in the shrimps and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Remove the seafood along with the potatoes and corn from the pot. Let the water drip.
- Transfer to a serving tray. Serve with lemon butter sauce.
- Share and enjoy!