Ensaladang Filipino is a type of salad composed of eggplant, onion, and tomato. It has a simple vinaigrette dressing and is sometimes served with shrimp paste. Ensaladang Filipino is also known as ensaladang talong.
This simple salad recipe makes use of semi-grilled onion and tomato. The eggplants were also grilled longer to completely cook the inside. I used a simple vinaigretter composed of cane vinegar, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper.
Try this Ensaladang Filipino Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 medium chinese eggplant
- 1 medium plum tomato, sliced and half
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced in half
- ½ cup cane or white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup shrimp paste
- Heat-up the grill. Grill the eggplant, onion, and tomato. The onion and tomato should only be grilled for 3 minutes per side, while the eggplant should be grilled longer until the inner part is fully cooked and soft. This should take around 10 to 12 minutes per side or more.
- Once the eggplant, tomato, and onion are done, peel the skin from the eggplant and slice. Slice the tomato and onion, as well. Arrange in a serving plate.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Stir. Make sure that the salt and sugar dissolves completely. Pour over the tomato, eggplant, and onion.
- Serve with shrimp paste on the side.
- Share and enjoy