Breakfast Sausage Hash is a cheesy way to make sausage and hashbrown casserole. This recipe makes use of 2 kinds of cheeses: salsa con queso and shredded cheese. Having a little kick is best for this dish, but the amount of hot sauce that you will use should depend on your heat tolerance. To be in the middle, I used 1 tablespoon of hot sauce for this recipe.
The recipe below calls for sharp cheddar cheese. Having this type of cheese (along with salsa con queso) is more than enough. However, I added some Mexican cheese to add variety. You can do it as I did by combining your preferred shredded cheeses, but cheddar (sharp or mild) is the safest bet.
I enjoyed this Breakfast Sausage Hash with some tomato ketchup. I also ate this with Croissant — the combination was superb. I think that I will do this combination again in the future.
Try this yummy Breakfast Sausage Hash. Let me know what you think.
- 1 package (1 lb.) frozen shredded potatoes, thawed
- 6 pieces sausage links
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 10 oz. salsa con queso (use your favorite brand)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Cayenne pepper sauce)
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1½ cups beef broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Heat a pan, pour-in the beef broth, bring to a boil. Add the sausage links and butter. Parboil the sausage links until the beef broth evaporates.
- Once the broth completely evaporates, continue to fry the sausage links using the remaining butter in low to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage links from the pan, let it cool down. Slice into thin pieces.
- Combine the remaining butter and add the canola oil, apply heat. Once the mixture heats-up, put the sliced sausages in. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the shredded potatoes. Stir and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked potato and sausage in a mixing bowl. Add the salsa con queso, shredded cheese, hot sauce, salt, and onion powder. Fold until the ingredients are well blended.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Arrange the mixture in a baking plate. Top with chopped green onions Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve for breakfast.
- Share and enjoy!