Shrimp avocado salad is a tasty meal in itself. The truth is, you can enjoy this chilled as a salad, or wrap it in flour tortilla as fresh shrimp tacos; just add pico de gallo and chile verde. I enjoyed it as a salad and it turned out to be filling too. This was basically a complete dinner meal for me.
I used fresh shrimp to make shrimp avocado salad. I needed extra time to devein the shrimp and remove its shell. It also requires a few minutes of boiling. You can save time by purchasing precooked medium shrimp. all you need to do is thaw the shrimp and soak it in warm water before tossing it withe the rest of the ingredients; you can even microwave it too if time is limited.
How to Make Shrimp Avocado Salad
Prepare the shrimp by removing the shell and veins. As mentioned above, you can use precooked shrimp to skip this step. Once the shrimp is ready, set it aside and prepare the avocado and sour cream mixture.
Slice the avocado into cubes. This tutorial will give you an idea on how it is done. Combine the sour cream, garlic powder, lime juice, and salt in a bowl. The amount of salt will depend on your preference. Taste the mixture first before adding salt. Add the avocado and then start to fold the ingredients. Add the shrimp last and top with chives.
Give this simple yet tasty Shrimp Avocado Salad Recipe a try. Let me know what you think.
- 1 pound shrimp, deveined and shell removed
- 2 cups water
- 2 ripe avocado, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- juice from 1 lime
- salt to taste
- chives for garnish
- Boil water in a cooking pot. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until color turns medium orange. Remove the shrimp from the pot and discard the water. Set aside.
- Combine sour cream, lime juice, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the avocado. Fold until all ingredients are well blended.
- Fold-in the boiled shrimp.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with chives.
- Serve chilled. Share and enjoy!