Tinolang Isda or Fish in Ginger Broth is a type of Filipino clear soup dish wherein fish such as Tuna is cooked in a broth composed of ginger, lemongrass and other vegetables. It is a simple dish that can be enjoyed during dinner with the entire family.
This Tinolang Isda recipe makes use of Tuna jaw. This part is also known as “Tuna panga” in the Philippines. It is usually grilled or made into a hearty soup dish such as this one. “Inihaw na panga” is a name used to describe grilled tuna jaw. Other fish varieties can also be used aside from tuna. Feel free to use your favorite type of fish, or whatever is fresh and appropriate that you can grab from the market.
I used some plum tomato for this recipe. It provides the dish a balanced flavor of sweetness and acidity. It is an optional ingredient. Feel free to use it if desired. Hot pepper leaves represent green leafy vegetables in this recipe. Fresh malunggay and spinach can also be used.
Use fresh leaves as much as possible, otherwise fresh-frozen will do – just like what I had. Scallions (also known as green onions or “dahon ng sibuyas”) make Tinolang Isda look prettier and make it taste oniony, in a good way.
Aside from the vegetables, fish, and tomato, fish sauce and fish bouillon played a huge role to complete the overall dish as far as flavor is concerned. It makes the broth tasty and more flavorful. It made me enjoy it more.
On another note, there is a version of tinola that involves chicken slices and green papaya (or chayote). Here is a link to our recipe in case you interested. It is called chicken tinola or tinolang manok.
Try this Tinolang Isda Recipe. Enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Tinolang Isda
- 2 lbs. Tuna jaw (panga)
- 1 to 2 cups hot pepper leaves (dahon ng sili)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced in 3 inch pieces (dahon ng sibuyas)
- 2 plum tomato, sliced in wedges (optional)
- 3 to 5 pieces long green pepper (siling pansigang)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 thumbs ginger, peeled and sliced into pieces
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 piece Knorr Fish Bouillon (fish cube)
- 5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- Pour water in a soup pot. Let boil.
- Add ginger, tomato, and onion. Let the water reboil
- Add-in the lemongrass. Cover and boil for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Gently slide-in the Tuna. Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the fish cube and then stir. Cover and continue to cook between low to medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot pepper leaves, scallions, long green pepper, and fish sauce. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with rice.
- Share and enjoy!