This is a recipe for Mini Banana Cake with Walnuts for Kids. The credit goes to my 4-year-old daughter, Danika. She did everything with a little help from her mom and some kitchen equipment. This is a fun way to bond with the little ones. It also helps them develop self confidence and learn new things.
Ideally, it will be more convenient if you have a stand mixer around because your kids can just easily drop the ingredients one-by-one while the mixer does the work. However, this can also be done manually using a wire whisk.
We used a rectangular baking cup so that it will resemble a small cake. You can also use regular cupcake or muffin cups and arrange it in a muffin pan just like how you do with banana muffins. Technically, these are banana muffins anyway 🙂
This can be served during snack time and it can also be eaten as a dessert; you might want to squeeze some whip cream on top. The kids will love it more.
Watch the Video on How to Make Mini Banana Cake with Walnuts for Kids
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir using a wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Combine softened butter, vanilla extract, and sour cream in another bowl. Start to cream the mixture; use a blended, if possible for better results. The beater blade of your stand mixer needs to be used in this process.
- Add the mashed bananas and walnuts while beating and then gradually add the flour mixture. Continue to beat until the texture becomes smooth.
- Scoop the mixture and arrange in small rectangular cups or cupcake cups. Put the rectangular cups over a baking tray. If using cupcake cups, use a muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until it turns golden brown
- Remove from oven. Serve. You can also top with whip cream so that kids will like it more.