This Upo guisado came about when I was looking for something to cook after feeling hungry. While I was searching for something to eat, I realized that were no leftovers of any sort. So, I tried to look around for something that I can cook, when suddenly my eyes caught a small bottle gourd (upo) sitting in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. I knew during that moment that I would be having ginisang upo.
I think that the reason behind my choice was the fact that upo guisado is quick to prepare. I also remember having extra pre-sliced pork belly thawing inside the refrigerator. Aside from these reasons, I was craving for upo since the day before yesterday. Now was my chance to satisfy my craving.
I had this with one and a half-cups of rice—or maybe two. I was so excited to eat that I lost count and just focused on the food. I was a wonderful meal.
If you are just starting to learn how to cook, I suggest that you read this article completely and review the recipe below. This basic recipe that I am sharing might be a good exercise for you to develop your cooking skills. You can also watch the video below that I recorded so that you can be guided on the step-by-step procedure that I did in order to accomplish this dish. Please do not hesitate to ask questions because that is the reason why I am here. Send me a question by commenting below.
Try this quick and easy Upo Guisado Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 small bottle gourd (upo), sliced
- 6 ounces pork belly, sliced into small pieces
- 1 medium plum tomato, cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 ½ cup water
- Heat oil in a pan
- Sauté garlic, onion, and tomato
- Add the pork. Cook for 3 minutes
- Pour 1 cup water. Let boil. Adjust the heat to medium and then continue to cook until the liquid completely evaporates
- Add the sliced upo. Stir and then cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with ground black pepper and fish sauce.
- Add water. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!