This is perhaps the simplest version of Chicken Molo Soup that I made. This is also the recipe that I use most of the time because it is quick and easy. The entire dish should be done in around 40 minutes. However, it can be shortened to less than 30 minutes if the chicken wontons are prepared beforehand.
Every time I prepare chicken molo soup, there are always extra wontons that I make which are intended for later use. These are placed inside a sealed freezer bag and kept inside the freezer until needed. When I am too preoccupied with work or other matters, I can easily thaw the frozen chicken wontons ahead of time to make a quick chicken molo soup. I also do the same with toasted garlic. It enables me to do more work while providing a quick and delicious meal for my family.
Molo soup is known for being flavorful. The wontons are tasty because it has all the meat and seasonings, while the soup is even tastier. In order to accomplish this, I usually add either rotisserie chicken or fresh chicken meat in the soup. The chicken is boiled it in low heat for a long time in order to extract the flavor. Since this is a quick recipe, there is no time to simmer chicken meat. I used a piece of chicken cube for the job instead. It gave me the chicken flavor that I expected and it even worked well when mixed with the shrimp juice. Let’s keep this as our little secret, ok?
It is best to always serve your chicken molo soup piping hot. Top it with chopped scallions and toasted garlic– and more toasted garlic (that is the way I like it – very garlicky). You can also squeeze a piece of calamansi on your soup.
Happy cooking. Send me your questions and feedback by commenting below.
Try this Chicken Molo Soup Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 12 to 15 pieces fresh shrimp, minced
- Juice extracted from the shrimp head
- 20 to 30 pieces wonton wrapper
- 1 Knorr Chicken cube
- 2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil
- 1½ teaspoons annatto powder or ½ cup annatto seeds soaked in ½ cup warm water
- 12 cloves garlic, toasted (see recipe here)
- ¾ cup chopped scallions
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine the ground chicken, minced shrimp, half of the minced onion, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, salt and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Lay a piece of wonton wrapper on a flat surface. Scoop a tablespoon of the chicken and shrimp mixture and then place it in the middle of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper until the mixture is secured. Do this step until the mixture is completely consumed. Set aside.
- Prepare the soup by heating the water in a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add the onion, shrimp juice, annatto powder (or annatto water), and half of the toasted garlic. Cook in medium heat covered for 3 minutes.
- Add the wrapped chicken wontons, chicken cube, ground black pepper, and fish sauce. Cover and cook in low to medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Top with chopped scallions and more toasted garlic.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!