Seafood Bicol Express is a dish composed of fresh shrimp, squid, and mussels. These are cooked in coconut milk along with sautéed garlic, ginger, and onion. The addition of lots of chili peppers and shrimp paste made this dish extra spicy, tasty, and special.
Another way to quickly define seafood Bicol express is by saying that it is the seafood version of Bicol express. The original version of this dish (simple known as Bicol express) makes use of pork, while the other ingredients are relatively similar.
I was rushing to get the video out in YouTube on or before Ash Wednesday so that you can have a glimpse of it. It might help you plan your menu for the entire Lenten season. I’m glad that it was published on time. This recipe serves as supplemental reference so that you can be guided accordingly. Feel free to follow this as the standard. You can always improve it according to your preference.
You will see in the video below how quick and easy it is to cook Seafood Bicol Express. It can be completed in less than 30 minutes. The only thing that you should be concerned about as far as time is concerned is the rice. Try to prepare enough rice ahead of time. You might be tempted to consume more rice than the usual because this dish is spicy and very tasty.
Try this Seafood Bicol Express Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. mussels, cleaned
- 6 ounces medium sized squid, cleaned
- ½ lb. shrimp shell and head on
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste (bagoong alamang)
- 2 thumbs ginger, minced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 to 10 pieces Thai chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the gets hot, saute garlic, onion and ginger.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pot. Let boil.
- Add chili pepper and shrimp paste. Stir. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the squid, mussels, and shrimp.Stir until all the seafood gets coated with coconut milk. Continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Add ground black pepper. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!