Tuna in can Sarciado was my go to dish when I was still in the Philippines. Actually I had two go to dishes: this one and ginisang sardinas. I was always on the go and did not have the time to prepare my meals. In addition, I also had to manage my budget. It worked well for me– it even taught me a valuable lesson to appreciate the simple things in life.
This was a dish that I usually make for breakfast. It was really good especially if I add lots of tomatoes in it. The recipe below calls for a piece of tomato, but feel free to use more. I think that this was way better compared to eating just regular tuna in can along with fried egg for breakfast when you are having it with rice. Why? Because aside from being colorful and appealing, this dish has a tasty sauce that you can pour over rice. It can increase your appetite and make you enjoy your meal even better.
I used a bigger can of tuna for this recipe. It is equivalent to two cans of regular tuna in can in the Philippines. There are two types of regular canned tuna as far as I can remember: the one in oil and the other is in water – use the canned tuna in water. There are many different varieties of canned tuna, and some are even prepared to resemble common Filipino dishes such as adobo and Afritada. We do not need these; I am only talking about using plain tuna in water here, just for clarity.
Have you tried making this dish before? Let me know how you liked it. If you have tips and suggestions to share, please send me a comment. Thanks in advance.
Try this Tuna in can Sarciado. Let me know what you think.
- 1 (12oz. can) chunk light tuna in water
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 1¼ cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute garlic, onion, and tomato until soft.
- Add the canned tuna (including the water from the can). Stir. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the water into the pan. Let boil.
- Beat the egg and then pour into the pan. Let it cook for a few minutes until it starts to form. Stir.
- Add ground black pepper and scallions. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the fish sauce into the pan. Add more water if preferred.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Watch the Video on How to Cook Tuna in Can Sarciado