Sinabawang Corned Beef is a quick dish that you can make using a piece of corned beef in can. It involves cubed potato, and onion along with a couple cups of water to make it soupy. This dish is not as common as ginisang corned beef. I only knew about it when I was in high school because the school canteen serves this dish for lunch.
I thought that it was strange at first, but learned to like and enjoy it after my first try. The idea might be odd, but there is no reason why I should not like it after the first try. In fact, it has a nice balanced flavor – which I thought was delicious. The sauce (or soup) of the corned beef help increase my appetite; it made me enjoy the dish better after pouring it over warm rice.
I should mention that this recipe is basic. While it has potato and onion, you can always add more ingredients into it – or perhaps use other ingredients to replace the other. For example, I got comments in the video that I posted in YouTube regarding the use of cabbage and tomato. It seems that quite a number of our friends make use of these ingredients when making sinabawang corned beef. You can use this recipe as a guide, but do not let it limit your options. Feel free to use other ingredients until you find out what works for you best.
Try this Sinabawang Corned Beef Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1 (11.5 ounce) can corned beef
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 large potato
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan
- Sauté garlic and onion until the texture gets soft
- Add the corned beef. Stir and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Slide the potato into the pan. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring once in a while.
- Pour water. Let boil. Adjust the heat to low and then continue cooking until the liquid reduces to half.
- Stir-in half the parsley. Note: you can add more water if you want your dish to be soupy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with remaining parsley.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!