Hotsilog is a meal composed of hotdogs, garlic fried rice, and fried egg. In a Filipino household, this is commonly eaten for breakfast with a condiment of banana ketchup and some pickled shredded papaya (atchara) on the side.
Red juicy hotdogs are used to make hotsilog. This is the most common type of hotdogs sold in the Philippines. This might be a trivia to some of you; here in the US, red hotdogs are not usual (probably with the exception of Maine where they have red snapper hotdogs). I only see it in Filipino or Asian store (that sells Pinoy products).
Garlic fried rice is known as Sinangag na kanin. However, “Sinangag” has been the short term used to refer to it. The fried eggs, on the other hand, are called “piniritong itlog” in Filipino. Speaking of eggs, here are some ways to cook eggs.
Hotsilog is somewhat similar to Tosilog and Tapsilog because these are all combination meals. Each is composed of a certain type of meat served with garlic fried rice and egg. These are also considered as Filipino breakfast meals (although it can really be consumed anytime of the day).
Try this Hotsilog recipe. Let me know what y0u think.
- 3 pieces red hotdogs
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup garlic fried rice (get recipe here)
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- ¾ cup water
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- Pour water in a small cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add hotdogs and then pour 2 tablespoons cooking oil. Continue to cook until the water evaporates.
- Once the water is gone, fry the hotdogs in the remaining oil for 1 to 2 minutes while slowly rolling it back and forth to prevent it from getting burnt. Set aside.
- Prepare the eggs by heating 4 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, crack a piece of egg and start to fry it. As the egg is frying, grab a spoon and scoop the oil from the bottom of the pot. Pour the oil over the egg. Do this until the yolk gets a white covering. Remove the egg and set aside. Do the same step on the other piece of egg.
- Arrange the garlic fried rice, hotdogs, and fried eggs in a plate. Put the slices of tomato on the side.
- Serve with ketchup. Share and enjoy!