Crispy Tofu Sisig is a dish composed of deep fried tofu cubes, chopped chili peppers, and onion. It is healthier alternative to traditional pork sisig because it does not use any meat and greasy ingredients. Aside from being healthy, this crispy tofu sisig recipe is also vegan. This means that it does not contain any animal by-product.
Making your own crispy tofu sisig at home is fairly easy. First, makes sure that you have all the ingredients on hand. You will specifically need need extra firm tofu; using other types of tofu won’t give you the same result. Use the amount of chili peppers according to your tolerance level. Add more chili if you want it to be extra hot and spicy, or use lesser if you want it to be milder.
The flavor of this dish comes from the sauce. It composed of vegetable broth, soy sauce, onion powder, and cornstarch. If this type of broth is not available, use water as an alternative ingredient. You may also adjust the flavor later on by adding the exact amount of salt and ground black pepper based on your preference.
I love to have crispy tofu sisig during dinner time. I can eat it by itself or make chow mein out of it. When making my spicy tofu chow mein, I cook the tofu sisig further by adding pancit canton and vegetables.
Try this Crispy Tofu Sisig Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu, sliced into small cubes
- 5 pieces Thai chili, chopped
- 2 long green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 10 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1½ cups cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil gets hot, deep-fry the cubed tofu until it turns crispy. Remove from the pot using a kitchen strainer. Put in a metal colander or into a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Combine vegetable broth, soy sauce, onion powder, and cornstarch in a bowl. Stir until all the ingredients are well blended. Set aside.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of oil from the pot where the tofu were fried. Pour it in a clean pan. Heat the pan on a stove top.
- Saute onion, long green peppers, and chili.
- Add the crispy fried tofu. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Pour the bowl with broth mixture into the pan. Toss the ingredients until coated with the mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with a dipping sauce composed of say sauce, calamansi, and crushed chili peppers.
- Share and enjoy!