Nilagang Baka ala Bulalo is a type of Filipino beef soup wherein chunks of beef are boiled with whole peppercorn and onion until very tender. Vegetables such as cabbage, bok choy, long green beans (also known as pechay Baguio), potato and corn can be used. For simplicity purposes, I only used some of the vegetables that I mentioned. Feel free to follow this exact recipe or add more vegetables into it to make the dish stand out.
I was actually craving for bulalo, but I only had beef chuck in the freezer. This is the reason why I tried to make my beef nilaga look and taste like bulalo. In order to transform this into a full-fledged bulalo, you have to omit the potato and replace the beef chuck with beef shank. This will not affect the taste of the dish at all. Speaking of bulalo, the province of Batangas is popular for this dish.Their Batangas bulalo is simpler because there isn’t too much components involved. However, the meat is very tender and the soup is flavorful. It is something that you should consider making one of these days.
I used a cut called beef chuck for this recipe. It is also known as paypay in the Philippines. Don’t limit yourself with this cut. I suggest that you also try using beef neck bones for this recipe, or even oxtail.
Since it is starting to get colder again, I think that this dish is very timely. Let me know if you have questions. Happy Cooking!
Try this Nilagang Baka ala Bulalo recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1½ lb. beef chuck, cubed
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- 2 medium yellow onions, wedged
- 8 cups water
- 1 sweet corn, divided into 4 pieces
- 4 to 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 beef cube
- 1 large baking potato, cubed
- ½ head small cabbage, sliced
- Pour water into a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add whole peppercorn and onion. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add beef chuck. Let the water re-boil and then cover the cooking pot. Continue to boil in medium heat for 2 hours.
- Add corn and then cover the pot. Cook for 1 hour.
- Add beef cube and potato. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour fish sauce into the pot. Stir.
- Add cabbage. Cover the pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!