Pocherong Baka or Beef Pochero is a type of Filipino beef stew that includes ingredients such as Chorizo de Bilbao, chickpea, long green beans, cabbage, plantains, and bok choy. It is one of the tastiest beef stews around. This dish is best enjoyed with a cup of warm rice.
This recipe should be easy to follow. I also shot a video on how to cook pocherong baka so that you can be guided accordingly. It is located at the bottom of this post.
I used beef chuck for this recipe. It is a cut of beef known in Filipino as “paypay”. You can use almost any cut of beef here, but I suggest to use tender cuts if you are in a hurry — in order to save time. Beef tenderloin or sirloin are good alternatives. Aside from beef, you can also make pochero from pork or chicken. Pork pochero is also one of my favorites.
If you’ll notice, I did not use “saging na saba” for this recipe. I was not able to get one from the Filipino store, so I used an alternative ingredient, which is plantains. It is best to use ripe banana to make pochero because it can help make the dish taste sweeter.
Try this Pocherong Baka Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 3 lbs. beef chuck, cubed
- 1 Chorizo de Bilbao, sliced crosswise into smaller pieces
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomato
- 1 large baking potato, cubed
- 12 to 15 pieces long green beans (Baguio beans)
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- ½ head small cabbage
- 1 ripe plantain (or saba), sliced
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 4 to 5 cups beef broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Once the oil becomes hot saute garlic and onion until soft.
- Add beef chuck. Cook until light brown.
- Add the sliced chorizo. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into the pot. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot, Let boil. Cover and cook until the beef becomes tender.
- Add the chickpeas, potato, and plantains. Stir. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the long green beans. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage and bok choy. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and ground black pepper. Continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!