Preparing Oxtail stew is a tasty and yummy way to cook oxtails. I got the inspiration from my beef bourguignon recipe, but I tried to make this dish simpler and easy to prepare. Imagine an oxtail bourguignon, prepared quicker and quite simpler. This is what you will get from this oxtail stew recipe.
Oxtail is one of the most tastiest part of the cow (if not the most), in my opinion. If prepared properly, you should be able to leverage on its potential to make different kinds of tasty stews. In addition to its flavor, tender oxtails are pleasant to eat. There won’t be much chewing involved. You will feel that the meat is melting in your mouth, literally.
If you have tried our oxtail kare-kare, which is a type of peanut stew, you’ll notice that the dominance of the oxtail every bite — in a positive way. It blended well with the peanut sauce and the shrimp paste. This was the reason why the dish was a success.
Oxtail stew can be eaten the Filipino way, which is having it with warm white rice. I also like having this with mashed potato. I had this once with baguette. It was awesome.
Try this Oxtail Stew Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 3 lbs. oxtail
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1½ cups red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large baking potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil starts to get hot, add the butter. Continue to heat until the butter and oil mixture starts to bubble.
- Saute the onion until tender.
- Add the oxtail. Cook each side for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste. Saute the it in tomato paste for 2 minutes.
- Pour the beef broth into the pressure cooker. Cover and pressure cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add thyme and red wine. Let boil.
- Add cubes potato. Continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Note: you can add more beef broth if the liquid starts to dry-up.
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bow. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!