Chicken soup has always been comforting. It is also perfect for frigid cold weather. I am sharing a simple recipe for Chicken Nilaga with Kalabasa . This makes use of skinless chicken thighs along with kalabasa squash. If in case the kalabasa variety is not available in your area, butternut squash is a good alternative that you can use.
A good chicken soup is not hard to make. As long as the chicken is tender and the broth is flavorful, you should be alright. This is the reason why we need to boil the chicken in chicken broth for at least 30 minutes. This is the minimum time needed, in my opinion, to be able to achieve a tender soup-quality chicken. I also used chicken broth, instead of water,so that my chicken soup will be more flavorful. If you decide to use water, make sure to add a bit of chicken powder or chicken cube, in order to make your soup tasty. Of course, simmering the chicken (cooking in very low heat) for a longer amount of time will also work to extract flavor and make the soup tastier.
Chicken Nilaga with Kalabasa is not to be mistaken with Pesang Manok and Chicken Tinola. All are delicious Filipino chicken soup dishes, except that pesa and tinola makes use of ginger, and nilaga does not.
You can add other nilaga-appropriate ingredients for this dish. Some additional ingredients that you can use are potato, ripe saging na saba, and pechay Baguio (Napa cabbage).
Try this Chicken Nilaga with Kalabasa Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2 lbs. skinless chicken thigh, cut into serving pieces
- 1 small butternut squash or kalabasa, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- ½ head small cabbage, sliced
- 6 to 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorn
- fish sauce (patis) to taste
- Pour chicken broth into a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Add onion, whole peppercorn, and chicken. Cover and continue to boil in medium heat for 30 minutes. Note: add more broth or water, if needed.
- Put the kalabasa and cabbage into the pot. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the baby bok choy and fish sauce. Stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with rice,
- Share and enjoy.