This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Today, I am going to share my first stroke of luck that enabled me to share what I do best which made my life better.
You can call it luck or an informed decision, one thing is clear: Starting my own blog changed my life, and it has been a blessing to me and my family ever since.
What did I exactly do?
- I decided to start my own blog.
- I created my own blog.
- I shared my tried and tested recipes in my blog
This tutorial is not for everyone. If you are visiting this site for recipes, here is a link to the recipe index page. Otherwise, please continue reading. I will be glad to guide you in every step of the way.
Before we proceed, let me define some terms so that you can understand it better.
The tutorial below details the steps on how to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost.
WordPress – is the most popular tool for creating websites. It can be used to create a simple blog (such as this); you can even use it to create a website for your business.
Bluehost – is one of the largest and most trusted web hosting services. It powers millions of websites. Think about this as the place where your website or blog resides. I trust this company because of the good service that they provide and their pricing is very competitive.
Here are the steps on how to start a WordPress blog on Bluehost:
Check if your desired domain name is still available. Click here
Click the “get started now” button and select the basic package.
2. Type your desired domain name in the textbox under the “new domain” block. Select a domain extension from the drop-down (Examples of domain extensions are: .com. .net, .org.). Click the “next” button.
If the domain name is still available, you will be prompted to register. Otherwise, try to input another domain and perform the same steps.
3. Provide your account information on top of the page and then go to the package information.
4. Choose a package that fits your budget.
Tip: Uncheck all the text boxes except for the last one (domain privacy protection). This is what you only need and it will save you money.
5. Complete the billing information and click “next”.
Once you have completed the Domain Name and Web Hosting registration, you will be prompted by the system. The next step is to set a password for your Bluehost account. After this, you can Install WordPress.
6. Start to Install WordPress by going back to the bluehost website (see link in the first step). Click on the login link.
7. Enter your username and password on the login screen. Click on the login button.
Note: The username is your domain name, the password is the password that you setup after successfully registering for a domain name and web host.
8. Click the Hosting tab on top of the page and then click on the WordPress icon within the page.
A new page that gives information about WordPress will be displayed.
9. Click the Install button.
10. Select the default directory from the drop-down. Click-on the “Check Domain” button.
11. Check the “Show advance options” box. Fill-in the information and Click the “Install Now” button.
Note: you can place your blog name in the site name text box. The username and password that you will enter will be used to access your blog. Make sure to write this down so that you won’t forget.
Congratulations! You have successfully created your blog. You can now start to blog.
- Login to your blog by opening a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox. Type your domain name in the address bar and hit the enter key.
- Click the login link located at the lower side bar of your blog. Type-in the username and password that you entered in step 7 above. Hit enter and start to blog.
P.S. The first mistake that I did when I was starting out was to to use a free blog. I thought that free is always good, but it has its limitations. I was not able to serve ads (it provides me passive income today), and it cannot support the bandwidth for all my visitors (which means less page views). Learn from my mistake. I am just happy to perform the steps that I shared above. It helped me be where I am today.
Send me a message if you have questions about starting a blog. I may be able to give you some tips on how to monetize it.