Sinigang na Tilapia sa Miso is a popular sour fish soup recipe in the Philippines. This version that we have is tastier than the usual recipes because I pan-fried the tilapia beforehand. For some reason, it adds an interesting flavor to the dish.
What is Miso, anyway? To those who are not familiar with this ingredient, Miso refers to fermented soybeans. This is usually used for this purpose – to make soups. This recipe calls for yellow miso paste; it is composed of fermented soy beans plus barley. For Filipino’s and for most people who were able to try sinigang, we cannot deny how good this soup is – especially if consumed during cold days. It provides comfort to the body while making our palate jump for joy. Aside from tilapia, you can also make fish sinigang using other fish varieties that are available in your location.
Try this Sinigang na Tilapia sa Miso recipe. Let me know what you think.
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: 2
- 1 large tilapia (about a pound or more), scales and innards removed
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, wedged
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 5 to 7 pieces mustard leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 pieces okra
- 1 sachet sinigang mix
- 5 cups water
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Slice the tilapia crosswise into half. Rub salt all over the fish. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup of cooking oil in a pan.
- When the oil turns hot, pan-fry each side of the tilapia in medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tilapia and place in a clean plate. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, scoop about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil from the pan where the fish was fried and place it in a cooking pot.
- Heat the cooking pot. When the oil heats-up, sauté the garlic, onion, and tomatoes
- Add the miso paste and then pour-in the fish sauce and water. Let boil.
- Add the sinigang mix. Stir.
- Put the fried tilapia in the cooking pot. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the okra. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Sprinkle some ground black pepper and add the mustard leaves. Cover for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the fish into a serving bowl.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!