What is the first thing that you think about when you hear the words Spicy Dilis? Are you thinking of the pre-packaged spicy dried anchovies sold in sari-sari stores? Yes, the ones with red coating. I am a big fan of this stuff; I’m not sure if you are. I know that eating those packaged anchovies is scary, but I still did because I love the taste.
I remember a time when I almost ate a staple. Yes, that shiny metallic thing used to hold pieces of paper together. Each pack of spicy dilis is stapled in a long card board; it is not impossible for the staple to get into the package. After that incident, I tried to learn the recipe so that I can enjoy clean Spicy Dilis anytime.
Try this Spicy Dilis recipe. By the way, your thoughts and suggestions will help in improving this blog. How about spending 10 seconds of your time to send-in your comments?
This is a recipe for spicy dilis. It is a sweet and spicy anchovy appetizer.
- 2 cups dried anchovies dilis
- 2 tablespoons banana ketchup
- 2 teaspoons hot chili sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- When the oil becomes hot, deep-fry the dried anchovies for 2 to 3 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
- Turn-off heat and remove the fried anchovies from the cooking pot. Set aside.
- Combine fried anchovies, ketchup, and hot chili sauce then mix well.
- Add brown sugar and mix until all the anchovies are coated.
- Heat the same cooking pot with the remaining cooking oil and fry the coated anchovies for 2 minutes or until the texture becomes crunchy but not burnt.
- Remove the anchovies and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!