Pinaputok na Tilapia is a Filipino Recipe wherein Tilapia is stuffed with a generous amount of tomatoes, onions, and ginger up to the maximum point that the cavity of the fish can handle. The term “pinaputok” is a Filipino word for explode or burst. It was used to describe the state wherein the fish can handle so much stuffing to the point of bursting.
There are many ways to make Pinaputok na Tilapia and there are different Pinaputok na Tilapia Recipe variations. Some involves grilling while other recipes recommend baking. Just so you know, we will be baking the Tilapia in this recipe — you can also use a turbo broiler. This method is beneficial especially during winter.
This Pinaputok na Tilapia recipe is very easy to prepare. However, do not be so complacent. Safety is very important when cooking: make sure that you wear the appropriate baking gloves when handling the oven. It is good to enjoy your meal without injuries. Happy cooking!
Filipino Vegetable Recipes
This dish can be enjoyed as a main dish or as a pulutan. Speaking of pulutan – Nilasing na Tilapia is another tilapia recipe that I recommend.
Try this Pinaputok na Tilapia Recipe and send us your feedback.
- 1 medium tilapia, cleaned and scales removed
- 1 medium unripe tomato, cubed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make about 2 to 3 slits on each side of the tilapia deep enough to reach the bones.
- Rub about 1 teaspoon of salt per side. Let the fish absorb the flavor for about 15 minutes.
- Combine the tomato, onion, ginger, lemon juice, salt, and ground black pepper in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Scoop the tomato and onion mixture and stuff inside the cavity of the tilapia. Try to stuff all the mixture, if possible. Note that the tilapia should have a cut under the body due to removal of the innards.
- Wrap the tilapia in an aluminum foil. Make sure that everything is covered.
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the tilapia for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tilapia from the oven and then open the top so that the fish is exposed. Brush the cooking oil over the fish.
- Change the settings of the oven to broil (about 510 degrees Fahrenheit). Put the fish back-in with the exposed top. Broil for 15 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the oven and serve with toyomansi.
- Share and enjoy!