Basil beef is a delicious ground beef recipe. It is usually tastes somewhat sweet and spicy. It also has an appetizing aroma brought about by the fresh basil leaves.
I love basil beef as much as basil chicken. The type of meat does not matter to me as long as the the flavors of the ingredients are in harmony. I used to enjoy this dish with plain white rice, but I think that can also be a good pair for brown rice. You see, I have been eating brown rice lately and it already did me wonders.
Panlasang Pinoy Fish Recipes
In terms of the heat, it is up to you to control the amount of chili. It could be mild or very hot depending on your preference. As for the basil leaves, you can use the regular fresh basil leaves or use holy basil. The more basil leaves the better as it adds a nice aroma and flavor to the dish. By the way, I would recommend you to adjust the saltiness according to your taste. Instead of pouring all the fish sauce right away, try doing half of it first. You can add the remaining fish sauce towards the end if you need more.
Try this Basil beef recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 10 pieces fresh basil leaves (holy basil)
- 2½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a frying pan.
- Pour the oil in the frying pan.
- When the oil becomes hot, sauté the garlic.
- Add the chili flakes and then cook for 15 seconds.
- Put-in the ground beef. Stir and brown for about 10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and brown sugar. Stir. Simmer for 20 minutes while letting the excess liquid evaporate.
- Put-in the basil leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the ground black pepper. Stir
- Turn-off heat. Transfer to a serving plate. Add fried egg on top if desired.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!