Although many prefer to order pork chops from a restaurant, you can save time and money by learning how to cook pork chops at home. Pork is a meat that is full of nutrients and when trimmed of fat, can be healthy for the body. There are several cuts of pork chops to choose from. Visit your local butcher to find the best cuts at affordable prices.
Nutrients in Pork Chops
Like most meats, pork chops are top sources of protein, which you need for healthy muscle. Protein also makes foods filling so you curb hunger and remain full for a longer period of time. Pork chops have a particularly high amount of vitamin B, as well as magnesium, zinc, iron and phosphorus. This makes it healthy for your bone, muscle and blood pressure.
Cuts of Pork Chops
Pork cuts don’t get as much attention as steak cuts do because pigs are relatively small animals. However, knowing the different cuts is just as important. Pork cuts differ in tenderness and thickness. Some have bone while others don’t, and some have fat that adds flavor to pork chops when cooked. Being mindful of pork cuts can also help you learn how to cook pork chops better.
Cuts of Pork Chops Include:
- Pork rib chops
- Pork sirloin
- Pork loin chops- usually comes with T-bone
- Pork top loin chops – also known as pork fillets
How to Cook Pork Chops the Right Way
Pork chops can be prepared more or less the same way you cook steak. However, pork cooks in less time, unless the pork cut is thick.
Prepping Tips and Guidelines
- The best seasoning for pork chops is with salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, meat spice and marinade.
- If you prefer marinades, defrost pork chops first and allow them to sit in marinade for 20-30 minutes before cooking.
- You can also make breaded pork chops from breadcrumbs and flakes.
- You can start by searing pork chops on stovetop and transferring it to the oven for further cooking.
- It is highly recommended that pork chops be cooked through. Rare and medium pork is unhealthy.
How to Cook Pork Chops on Stovetop
Season pork chops with your choice of spices and herbs. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large pan.
Sear both sides of pork chops until a brown, flavorful crust is formed.
If not cooked through, transfer to microwave or oven until the center changes from pink and brown.
How to Cook Pork Chops in Oven
Preheat oven to 350 F and season meat.
Place pork chops in a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes on every side, turning it over.
Panlasang Pinoy Fish Recipes
Meat is cooked when it is a uniform brown or when the center reaches 145 F on a meat thermometer.
Pork chops are easy to prepare, juicy and affordable. By combining the right seasoning and trimming off access fat, they are a nutritious and protein-rich addition to any meal.