Sinigang na Bangus sa Bayabas is a version of sinigang that makes use of ripe guava as the souring agent. Sinigang is a Filipino sour soup dish that commonly uses unripe tamarind or bilimbi to make the sour sour. This singang na bangus sa bayabas is not as sour as the traditional singing dishes, but it has a nice mild flavor that I liked.
I was not able to enjoy this sinigang version as I was growing up. This is one of the reasons why I was skeptical about this dish. However, things changed when I had the courage to try it. I thought that it was not bad, and I even had more until finished the entire bowl.
Panlasang Pinoy Fish Recipes
I think that it takes a little getting used to, or what they call acquired taste in order for most of us to enjoy any sinigang sa bayabas version. I am not a fan of guava, but I like milkfish and fish sauce. The flavor of the milkfish blends well with the guava and the fish sauce making this dish successful. It will be better if you use the ripest guava that you can get for optimum flavor.
Try this Sinigang na Bangus sa Bayabas. Let me know what you think.
Watch the Video on How to Cook Sinigang na Bangus with Bayabas:
- 1 medium milkfish (bangus), cleaned and scales removed and sliced into steaks
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 to 6 pieces guava (ripe)
- 8 pieces okra
- 1 small onion, wedged
- 2 medium tomato, wedged
- 2 pieces Jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 to 5 cups water
- Pour the water in a cooking pot. Bring to a boil.
- Put-in the guava, tomato, onion, and whole peppercorn. Let it boil. Continue to boil (covered) for 15 minutes or until the guava and vegetables are soft. You may add more water if needed.
- Using a fork of potato masher, mash the guava and vegetables inside the cooking pot to extract the flavors. This is an optional step, be extra careful.
- Pour-in the fish sauce. Stir.
- Add the milk fish. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes in medium heat.
- Add the okra and Jalapeno. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the spinach. Cover the cooking pot. Turn the heat off. Let the spinach stay in the pot for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!