Sweet Pepper Relyeno or Stuffed Sweet Peppers is an appetizer or main dish consisting of mini sweet peppers and ground pork. The ground pork was combined with spices and seasonings (which is somewhat similar to the mix in Lumpiang Shanghai), topped over the sweet pepper, pan-fried, and finished-up by baking.
Please do not confuse this with Stuffed Mussels. Both look the same because the peppers have the same shape as the shells. I like this dish because of the nice overall blend of flavors. The pork tasted really good, while having it with sweet peppers made it even better. You might want to have this with ketchup, but I think that having this dish without any condiment will suffice.
Try this Sweet Pepper Relyeno Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Sweet Pepper Relyeno Recipe
- 10 pieces sweet peppers sliced into half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 pieces eggs
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Prepare the stuffing by combining the ground pork, 1 piece egg, minced onion and carrot, salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl. Mix well.
- Scoop around 1 1/2 tablespoons (or more) of the mixture and arrange it over the sliced sweet pepper. Gently press the mixture to keep it intact.
- Meanwhile, heat the cooking oil in a pan.
- While the oil is heating, beat the remaining 2 eggs. Dip the sweet pepper with ground pork in the egg and roll it over the Panko bread crumbs. Make sure that the top is fully coated with the bread crumbs.
- Pan fry the sweet pepper with breadcrumbs in medium heat until the breadcrumbs turns light to medium brown. Turn it over and cook the other side (side without the stuffing) for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan. Arrange in a baking tray lined with Aluminum foil.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake the pan fried sweet peppers for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Arrange in a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with ketchup. Share and enjoy!