Pork and Beans has been around since the late 19th century. Today, this has been a staple and can be purchased in every supermarket. Why make homemade pork and beans then, if it can be bought ready-to-eat? This recipe is different from the usual because it makes use of double smoked bacon. It has a distinct flavor, coupled by a sweet and tangy taste, that resembles barbecue.
The image below shows the ingredients for this homemade pork and beans recipe. We will not use an entire slab of smoked bacon, only a small portion, which will be cut into small cubes. The yellowish powder that you see is mustard powder, while the thick black liquid are molasses. It is a sweet liquid used in cooking and baking.
Of course tomato sauce, vinegar, and onion are also part of the recipe. By the way, I used canned Cannellini beans (also known as Navy beans). Using canned beans will save you time because these are already pre-cooked and tender.
Cooking pork and beans starts by sauteing the onion. I cook the onions to a point that it is somewhat caramelized before, I add the cubed bacon. The next step is to prepare the sauce. I do this by adding the following ingredients into the mixture: tomato sauce, vinegar, mustard powder, and the liquid from the can of beans. It is important to cook the entire mixture in low to medium heat for a while so that optimum flavors can be extracted.
The beans are added last, along with the molasses. These needs to cook for a few minutes, before serving your homemade pork and beans. The process is simple and straightforward, the taste is out-of-this-world, in a good way.
I usually have this for breakfast. I love the sweet, smokey, and tangy taste of this dish. Sometimes I even bring some with me to work. I can live with a cup oo so of this for lunch.
I would say that Navy beans (cannellini beans) are the next bean variety that I enjoy eating second to mung beans. The latter has been a staple in the Philippines, as evidenced by the different monggo recipes available.
Try this Homemade Pork and Beans Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- ½ cup smoked bacon, cubed
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans Cannellini beans
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Add onions. Cook until the onions gets soft and somewhat caramelized.
- Add bacon. Cook for 1 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce, vinegar, and liquid from the can of beans into the pot. Add mustard powder. Let boil. Stir and cover. Continue to cook in low heat for 30 to 35 minutes. Note: add water if the liquid starts to dry-up.
- Add the molasses, beans, and salt into the pot. Gently stir. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!