Chicken Congee is a type of rice porridge similar to chicken arroz caldo. This is usually consumed for breakfast and is best enjoyed with chopped scallions. I gave this recipe a bit of Filipino twist by suggesting to top it with toasted garlic before eating.
Preparing your own chicken congee at home is simple and easy. Although the entire process can take up to an hour, the steps involved are basic. This means that anyone can cook this dish with ease. All you have to do in the entire process is to add the ingredients at the proper time, and ensure that the rice does not stick on the pan, by continually stirring every 5 minutes.
There were lots of good memories with congee during my childhood. Everytime I get sick, either my grandma or my mom will make some for myself. They would first cook plain lugaw and top it with rousong, which is a type of dried pork with thin strands. I will try a small amount, and then request if they can instead cook chicken congee. Since I was not feeling well, they would always give in to my request. There were even times when I pretend to not feel well just to have chicken congee for breakfast.
I like this version of chicken congee because I can easily eat the chicken along with the rice porridge. There is no need for me to separate the chicken meat from the bone while eating, because it was already done during the cooking process. It also has that yummy chicken taste that makes me feel comfy. I do feel better after having a serving of this dish.
Try this Chicken Congee Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Panlasang Pinoy Fish Recipes
- 1 lb. skinless chicken thigh
- 1 Knorr chicken cube
- 1¼ cups long grain rice
- ¾ cups chopped scallions
- 3 thumbs ginger, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons toasted garlic (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Sesame oil
- 7 to 10 cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat water in a cooking pot. Add ginger, half of the chopped scallions, and chicken. Let boil.
- Add Knorr chicken cube. Stir. Cover and continue to cook in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Let it cool down. Shred the chicken meat. Discard the bones. Note: you can shred the chicken using two forks, or your bare clean hands.
- Add rice into the pot. Cover and to cook for 30 minutes.
- Put the shredded chicken in the pot. Continue to cook for 30 minutes more or until the consistency of the porridge gets thick. Note: add water if needed.
- Add salt, ground black pepper, and Sesame oil. Stir.
- Transfer to a bowl. Top with chopped scallions and toasted garlic.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!