I love bulalo. This is the reason why I try to make different dishes using this ingredient. Deep Fried Bulalo with Teriyaki Sauce is one of those dishes, and I must say that this is absolutely delightful. It is crispy on the outside while the meat is tender and juicy. It also blends well with the Restaurant Style Teriyaki Sauce.
There are two processes involved in cooking the beef shank (or bulalo). The first is to tenderize the meat by pressure cooking, and the seconds process is to deep-fry the breaded bulalo until it turns golden brown. We will also be making our own Teriyaki sauce.
Aside from pressure cooking the beef shank, you can also cook this using the Sous Vide method, just like what I did when making my Chicken Adobo. You can always be sure in this method that the meat will remain intact and won’t fall apart.
Deep Fried Bulalo is best eaten with warm rice. You can also garnish this with thinly chopped cabbage or lettuce on the side.
Try this Deep Fried Bulalo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
- 2½ lbs. beef shank
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar or muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Arrange the beef shank in a pressure cooker and pour water in it. Pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Note: Do not cook longer to keep the meat intact.
- Remove the beef shank (bulalo) from the pressure cooker. Let it cool down.
- Combine salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Rub all over the bulalo. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep and wide cooking pot.
- Dredge the beef shanks in flour. Make sure to shake off any excess flour. Dip in beaten egg, and then roll over the Panko breadcrumbs. Note: ensure that the beef shank are completely covered with bread crumbs.
- Once the oil start to get hot (but not too hot), deep fry the beef shanks. Adjust heat to medium. Continue to fry for 10 minutes or until the crumbs turn golden brown. Remove the beef shanks from the pot and place in a plate lined with paper towel.
- Prepare the Restaurant Style Teriyaki sauce by combining all the ingredients in a sauce pan, except for the cornstarch. Stir until well blended. Apply heat to the saucepan, let the mixture boil. Dilute cornstarch in 3 tablespoons cold water. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan. Continuously stir until the texture gets thicker. Note: you can dilute more cornstarch in cold water and mix it in the mixture, if you want the sauce to be thicker.
- Arrange the deep fried bulalo on a serving plate. Serve with Teriyaki Sauce.
- Share and enjoy!